Warmachine Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warmachine Terrain Making Night

+7
Gliblit
gizmoduck
thevampiredio
adiaze
almond
Wayfarer
jasechew
11 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Warmachine Terrain Making Night - Page 2 Empty Re: Warmachine Terrain Making Night

Post by Gliblit Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Yay!!! Terrain!! Gizmo you fast la! Done so much in days, how you plan tocarry your board?

Squee San, dragon teeth canmake from foam,if want can coat with plaster or putty, then painted... Else it's actually rather strong.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Warmachine Terrain Making Night - Page 2 Empty Re: Warmachine Terrain Making Night

Post by gizmoduck Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 pm

ermmm thats not mine... hehehe its just a picture lol...
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Warmachine Terrain Making Day
Date: 14.11.10
Time: 3pm onwards

Who is up for it? Anyone have suggestions on a better time/place? We want at least 5 people participating... more is obviously advised.

edit: DATE CHANGED. Meant for it to be a Sunday instead Very Happy.
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

https://wmmalaysia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:38 pm

I'm up for it. I thought the location was set to be at The Tavern? Ask Kenji if he wouldn't mind us making WM/H terrain for his shop... Wink
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by [Ghost] Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Sorry guys, but driving over to cova 3 times in one weekend is a bit too much for me. Maybe next time around.
[Ghost]
[Ghost]
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:39 pm

[Ghost] wrote:Sorry guys, but driving over to cova 3 times in one weekend is a bit too much for me. Maybe next time around.

LEMAH!

Razz
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Wayfarer wrote:I'm up for it. I thought the location was set to be at The Tavern? Ask Kenji if he wouldn't mind us making WM/H terrain for his shop... Wink

jom jom! btw any suggestions on what we need to 'bring'?
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:01 pm

By the looks of it:

1) White table cloth (or any other cloth, buy em for cheaps at Kamdar at the Curve).

2) Cardboard for the road. I think corrugated cardboard would be good here.

3) Buncho paints. Black and white.

4) Trees. Either gizmoduck makes 'em or we can try and look for them in the train model shop in O.U. (i hope that shop is still in business).

5) Maybe textured wallpaper for the road pavement.

6) 2-4 papercraft buildings!

This is just off the top of my head. If anybody has something else to add, by all means. I'm not sure if I can make it to the Tavern this weekend, I'll know for sure later this week.

addendum: Oh and styrofoam for the hills.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:49 pm

I've got lots of little bits I've been hoarding. I've got some ice-cream sticks, some straws that can be used for piping, I'll bring some of that.

Here's what I'll bring:
- 1 blade
- steel ruler
- white glue / paper glue
- marker pen
- cutting board
- sheet card (200gsm)
- bits of loose card
- odd bits and bobs as above

I also have some sand (for texturing paint?) but that's a bit messy so maybe not this time. We still need someone to print the buildings - anyone? silent

Oh, I do have a hot-wire styrofoam cutter, if you guys want to use it - just need batteries (using this will require ventilation, styrene vapour is nasty).

Last edited by Wayfarer on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:56 pm

how come i'm the designated tree maker? I saw a tutorial using pencis and chimney filter... Probably can get away with green scrubbing pad. My wife buys these moss-like flock which she uses for her flower pots, its cheap too so Gonna bring that. lol.. I'm going to look around for a foam cutter and some Styrofoam. I went to this craft shop at the gardens and there were pyramid shaped foams. awesomee.... arctic pyramids? lol

too many lols...

Can somebody sketch the terrain we're working on? So we know roughly how much stuff to bring. No need to mess up the shop with unnecessary things. So far I am volunteering for:

Hills
Trees
Shrubs

Anybody knows how much felt cost? White table cloth might be too soft and moves around too much, unless there's heavier material available. We need to ask the shop owner if we can attach the material permanently on the table like at alvin's.
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Let's do this 1st for the cardstock building:

Foldup Paper Models
Compiled Archive
By Rob Lazzaretti, Dennis Kauth, and Todd Gamble
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fpm/archive

gizmoduck, you can download that for free and see for yourself. I'll be bringing some card sheets so we can paste on the printed textures. Just someone to print. Grrr, I was hoping to buy a replacement printer this month, no budget though.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Would be good if can print in colour... I dun havee... only b and w at the office.
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

Uh... Good job. Who is project leader?

No one can answer my question yet, how hardcore you want to get? What do you want to achieve?

As per last week's discussion, we want to see some standard size 4x4 and 4x6 inch terrain, and we wanted them flat (for storage and easy for model to stand on) and we wanted a few building.

So Jesse and I bashed 2x building (single storie), then texture print:
4x 4x4 water,
2x 4x6 forest,
4x 4x6 elevated/difficult,
2x 4x4 sandy difficult terrain.

For trial use this Friday.

I'm getting them printed on card stock later, and if time permit cutting and mounting them. Baring unacceptable increase in cost, it will be ready soon.

I find 3d terrain too tedious and does not work well on the table. However paper model building is super! Anything that a model need to land on... As flat as possible is best. We are trying to play game, and not win diorama award.

If you guys really want to make 3d terrain, we can discuss this Friday. As of how it is now... A little going in all direction la, if you get what I mean. We need to focus our effort and resources.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:24 pm

That's why I say we all pool resources and work on one project at a time and not approach the "whatever you have, bring it!" which will be chaotic. Its impossible to do it here so Firday night is ngam for me.

I still think the first step is to sketch the actual full terrain itself, with locations of hills, buildings water etc - then divide the jobs, do it individually at home or at a shop, then assemble them together.

I love the cardstock houses and I think some of them can work really well with my menoth army lol. Better if you can place them on a cutout board or something for durability. I hate it when a guss of wind blows the house away lol...
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:06 pm

edit:

I sketched out something quick anyway. A quick urban map. With textured wallpaper as the base, we can do roads quickly.

Warmachine Terrain Making Night - Page 2 Urban1
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by squee Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:55 pm

ooh ooh i knows how ta make a water tower using a small pringles tin i saved for that purpose!
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

http://www.binkibonsai.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by squee Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:58 pm

I was thinking the streets could be a plain grey tablecloth, with some rubble piles and ruined card buildings.
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by squee Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Rubble piles should be dead simple; i just need to get to pop by an aquarium shop for a bag of gravel-sand thingy...
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:06 pm

That works too Smile So a wartorn town then? The statue centerpiece can be any spare model painted grey and drybrushed on top of a damaged cylindrical styrofoam or something. Doubles as an objective marker as well :p

addendum: I have a spare random semi mutilated Stormknight that can fill this very purpose :3
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:45 pm

I have some old warhammer stuff that can be used too i think. Wartorn it is!

So if that is the case, no need for elevated grounds and trees yes?
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:54 pm

What about the hill? Also, for linear obstacles... The parks could have a hedge or even a low wall around the perimeter, maybe?

The buildings should be based. Using some thick cardboard, perhaps? Just something to weigh it down a bit. The other that we can do, is if the table surface has no fluff (ie, simple grey table) you could use a little blue tack to stick it onto the table.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Love the blu-tac idea. About trees, I guess we can put a clump of dried out trees in the park area as well as a hill. I also agree with the hedge and low wall.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:19 pm

I've seen a dead-simple technique for hedges. Not sure where I saw it, though.

You'll need some card, glue and some green portions of the dish-cleaning sponges you can get cheaply at Giant.

Take 2 strips of card and make a sorta T cross section (or you could just glue 1 piece together, I suppose). Cut up the green sponge to fit the vertical card portions and glue them onto both sides. It can also be wrapped over the top if you want to conceal the card bit:

In cross-section:
(|) sponge-card-sponge
--- base card

edit: Just make sure it's <=1" if you want it to count as obstacle.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Some ideas for terrains

Warmachine Terrain Making Night - Page 2 P1000353

Forest can be made with a simple 'green carpet' (i.e. Alvin's table cloth).
Hills can be made by cutting styrofoam or cork (thick cork available in Daiso 1 Utama).
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by [Ghost] Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:13 am

Since Squee has decided to cancel our little rpg session, I can make it on Sunday.

I spoke to Kenji and hes not around that day, but will try to get someone to open up for us.
[Ghost]
[Ghost]
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next