Warmachine Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolf's Game Shop Amateur Tournament

+8
Wayfarer
P666P
thevampiredio
Gliblit
Tekanan
almond
jasechew
adiaze
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wolf's Game Shop Amateur Tournament - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolf's Game Shop Amateur Tournament

Post by Gliblit Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Maybe we should go give moral supporr

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Wolf's Game Shop Amateur Tournament - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolf's Game Shop Amateur Tournament

Post by Tekanan Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:15 pm

These are WGS's posts on its forums regarding the amateur issue.

WGS wrote:Well we are trying to shoot for amateurs playing amateurs so in order to make sure the guidelines given were the best way for me to differentiate. Players who have played in a tournament/league/event are usually those who are already ready to compete while amateurs are generally not.

The first day should see more questions about rules, a load of mistakes and in general a whole lot of innocent fun. The games are generally less a pressure point when both players are the same level.

There are those who are lobbying to be rated as amateur in order to steam roll their way to the top prize and these boys are not very sporting in my opinion.

Come play if u haven't ever roll dice for PP, there is no painting comp or scores...so just prime em and bring em....
WGS wrote:Hello folks...
I can understand everone's gripe with the qualification as amateur and i say thats pretty awesome when people wanna just play as many games as possible Smile

Being at the shop most of the time I see many new faces walk in and out of the store, its these guys whom I look at when organising the amateur tournament. These are the boys you will slowly get to know and play with on those slow weekends adn evenings. So in order for them NOT to get slaughtered and quit the game before thay start, the qualification for amateur has been set.

You will notice that there is no mention of playing with painted miniatures (which was difficult to actually agree to) AND because its a doubles play, not only will there be a mentor and student feel BUT also a chance to use/borrow pieces to get your army going.

We try our best here at WGS to ensure that everyone has a good time and THAT above all is the most important thing. So a lot of things have been considered when organising this tournament.

The year is almost at an end and this was the best thing i could think of as a send off for an excellent year for PP.

I have been invited by WGS to play in the tourney. Even so, after being 'coaxed' to go back to his forum and read up the tourney thread (which I did), I came across some interesting points. As much as I disagree with some of his points, I accept that it is his decision and respect his point of view. The 2nd bolded sentence in the first quoted section really got me thinking twice into joining this tourney. While my gameplay is definitely amateurish, my grasp of the rules isn't. That certainly is enough to be seen as "not amateur" and chasing away new players is the last thing I want.

At least adiaze and almond have agreed to participate in this tournament. I don't feel too bad not participating then. Regardless, my decision has not been made yet.
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

https://wmmalaysia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:38 am

phuc me for being rile

Last edited by Gliblit on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:56 am

Chill guys,

Haha there is this something I learned from Discovery Channel,
I would say animal's have animal's way of surviving human's have human's. example U cant make a human understand dog's way.

every dog has its day

@Guys : don't try too hard to understand/agree, sometimes even humans can't understand humans

Just let it go well do u guys think I'm very happy bout it?
I believed everyone already knew from their heart what's good and bad, Well if there is no tournament all got to do we juz create one if there is no place to play we find one, if no stocks we get stocks. why so frustrated over small matter like this?

read my signature
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:15 am

damn... i'm sorry for getting rile like a stupid warbeast... warpdoggie thing...

haii... you are right, we will be running our own league... we make the best of what we have. When a path is closed to us we create a new path.

Last edited by Gliblit on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:23 am

@Gliblit: Woah dude, calm down. You don't have to enter every tourney, do you? Many many people have been excluded from the WGS tourneys - even WGS regulars. The newbie tourneys are for people who are really new, just with black or silver models.

Perhaps the newbies at WGS all have 25pts level? The TO would tailor the tourney to the group. It'd be silly for Wolf to make a tourney if the expected participants couldn't make that level, wouldn't it?

Actually, it's not that hard. eg. eKaya+Laris, Feral WW, Pureblood WW and WW Stalker. 5 Models. I'm sure there are analogues in other factions. I think the points level that's encouraged at WGS is 25-35pts, iinm. Heck, default for PP leagues and Steamroller is 50pts!

Lastly, there are alternatives. Like jasechew said above: eg. Get Tekanan/jasechew to run another tourney at HF/TT/TB/CC! Very Happy

EDIT: Maybe owner of CC could spring for 1 merc/minion blister or 2 as prize?
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:42 am

I believe that wolf got his ways around things ,

As a part of the community I also hope that his event turn out successful atleast more ppl will get to know more / start the game.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:00 am

deleted for being overly angry

Last edited by Gliblit on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:54 am

Is Wolf aware of other tournaments held at other venues?

I always had the impression that his restrictions were related to tournaments at his own store.

I see no reason to get angry or bitter over it, though I do understand your complaints. But please check with Wolf personally if you can join in or not if you want to join in. Make him evaluate your level. Then just bite the bullet and accept whatever his verdict is.

Technicalities would allow Tekanan to enter, though I understand his reluctance from his post. I see nothing wrong with a walking encyclopedia around when we need one in the heat of battle (sure beats busting out the book every 5 minutes).

It pays to remember who this tourney is for in the first place. Though I've started playing 3 years ago, I can count on one hand how many times I've actually played and finished a full game >.>, even less a tourney. Wolf made it pretty clear cut in his post. For those who had their first game in a tourney after a really short time starting the game altogether, it doesn't hurt to ask as well if you're interested.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:23 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Actually, it's not that hard. eg. eKaya+Laris, Feral WW, Pureblood WW and WW Stalker. 5 Models. I'm sure there are analogues in other factions. I think the points level that's encouraged at WGS is 25-35pts, iinm. Heck, default for PP leagues and Steamroller is 50pts!

The default Steamroller is not exactly newbie friendly. And the list you given, 5 models, are within the RM500 range for brand new. That's not exactly newbie/amateur either. For myself, it so happens, i managed to get beyond 25 points due to superb buying (which probably would rile my wife 2 fury points if she knows).

I have highlighted to Wolf before, his tournament for newbie should be battlebox level. But he has his arguments, so i respect that he has made his choice as a store/TO. Like i said, luckily i could have the army, but not all newbies will have enough points as well.

As for Giblit, I can understand your concern. As Almond said, you can always get Wolf's verification for eligibility and also as Jase pointed, this is not the end of the road. You, Jase & Tekanan, and others i'm not sure who else is behind the new league play starting in Jan. That tourney also encourages play more and often and I think it will do well and I will definitely support that as well.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:23 am

almond wrote:Is Wolf aware of other tournaments held at other venues?

I always had the impression that his restrictions were related to tournaments at his own store.

I see no reason to get angry or bitter over it, though I do understand your complaints. But please check with Wolf personally if you can join in or not if you want to join in. Make him evaluate your level. Then just bite the bullet and accept whatever his verdict is.

Technicalities would allow Tekanan to enter, though I understand his reluctance from his post. I see nothing wrong with a walking encyclopedia around when we need one in the heat of battle (sure beats busting out the book every 5 minutes).

It pays to remember who this tourney is for in the first place. Though I've started playing 3 years ago, I can count on one hand how many times I've actually played and finished a full game >.>, even less a tourney. Wolf made it pretty clear cut in his post. For those who had their first game in a tourney after a really short time starting the game altogether, it doesn't hurt to ask as well if you're interested.

Unfortunately I'm sure he knows as he specifically said those who joins WM Malaysia tournament are not entitle to join the Amateur Game despite how long have u join the game.
I personally asked him that along with few other guys. He said it muz be 0 tournament/league exp to be qualified. Therefore safe your face/breath no point asking.

As for Tekanan he has no choice but to let him through b'coz he is playing according the rules.

Sorry guys but I will go straight to the point,
YES its his tournament and we should respect his decision, No wonder no ones like going there nowadays. As wayfarer said: The TO would tailor the tourney to the "group". Technically others who is outside the their "group" already been forsaken if u can take it join, those that cant play else where its juz a plain and simple fact.

No point questioning/understanding the reason behind it.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:26 pm

I have to agree with jasechew here. No point asking. Honestly, Gliblit you're not the only newbie excluded. Some new guys who just happened to play in the last league (Oct 2010) or participated in Steamroller were also excluded - not just the old veterans. Don't take it personally, dude.

@adiaze: I agree, 50pts is not newbie friendly, which is why you can actually play with less. Also, come on, my list is my list - it's what I have. You can get 25 points for much cheaper: eg.

Baldur (+6)
Megalith (11)
Woldwarden (9)
Woldwarden/Wold Guardian (9)
Blackclad Wayfarer (2)

5 models that only come up to about RM 330 (eg. from Maelstrom). About RM 400 from an LGS, I think.

Hmm...actually, that sounds like a fun list. Must try it out someday! Someday... Smile

Anyway, guys let's not argue about this any more. Take it as it is and move on. Whoever's playing, good luck! I'll probably see you guys there on Saturday.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Wayfarer wrote:@adiaze: I agree, 50pts is not newbie friendly, which is why you can actually play with less. Also, come on, my list is my list - it's what I have. You can get 25 points for much cheaper: eg.

5 models that only come up to about RM 330 (eg. from Maelstrom). About RM 400 from an LGS, I think.

Eh. Didn't recall mentioning 50pts not newbie friendly. I was talking bout 25 points. What talking you?

And newbies don't buy from Maelstrom. Razz
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:08 pm

Wayfarer wrote:I have to agree with jasechew here. No point asking. Honestly, Gliblit you're not the only newbie excluded. Some new guys who just happened to play in the last league (Oct 2010) or participated in Steamroller were also excluded - not just the old veterans. Don't take it personally, dude.

Baldur (+6)
Megalith (11)
Woldwarden (9)
Woldwarden/Wold Guardian (9)
Blackclad Wayfarer (2)

Hmm...actually, that sounds like a fun list. Must try it out someday! Someday... Smile

Glad to have your understanding ,

Yeah this is a good list, I'm also building something similar actually. Now its in painting hope it can complete soon and give it a try as well.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:23 pm

yeah... i better stop talking when i am angry.

Point
1. not angry because can not enter
2. angry because we inform him his decisions will put a large number of new players in neglect... but was in return called not sporting
3. reasons given were contradicting.

Wayfarer, sorry for blowing up on your reply.

By the way you mention that there are many other new players that were affected. Who are they? Seriously now who are they? How many? How long have they played? If there is a significant number (ala more than the Hobby Forge Tourney affected people) then... it would really help convey that the conditions being fair. Since you mention it, i suspect you know the details, and did not just pluck a thought from the sky...

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:27 pm

oh yeah incase you are wondering, i have deleted my post...

i respect wolf as a huge contributing party to the community. Most of my statement were made in anger... hence does not represent my true views. Sorry

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by polarloon Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:27 pm

haha join the doubles guys. not enuff for 35.....BORROW FROM JASON!!!! WAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Razz anyway if anyone needs some khador stuff i do not mind lending them for the tourney sms or call me @0196963360 i also have some legion/ cygnar stuff.

polarloon
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:31 pm

polarloon wrote:haha join the doubles guys. not enuff for 35.....BORROW FROM JASON!!!! WAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Razz

Well no worries juz lemme know what ya need if its for the tournament .
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:52 pm

adiaze wrote:
Eh. Didn't recall mentioning 50pts not newbie friendly. I was talking bout 25 points. What talking you?

You said "default Steamroller is not newbie friendly". The default is 50pts. I have to disagree with you, though. 25pts is not as bad as you make it out to be for newbies, that's my opinion.

adiaze wrote:And newbies don't buy from Maelstrom.

Yeah, sure they don't... Wink

@Gliblit: Dunno who they are, specifically. Wolf just said there were quite a few new guys - started a little later than you guys did. Like I said, they play on weekdays - I only play on Saturday or Sunday.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Well doesn't matter we could be wrong things might actually work out.

Its only one way to know go that day and see for yourself

Haha as now its all only fictional, WGS might have tons of "NP with big innocent anime watery round eyes" waiting to register.

jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:34 pm

@ppl who wants me to attend: Sorry for sounding wishy-washy but I really did have my second thoughts after reading the post on WGS. It's not like I've totally decided on not going though. Heck I'm more inclined on going at the moment! But that 2nd thoughts have been really bugging me....

Maybe if I played a non-khador army.... jasechew! Borrow your skarre army!! (that has got to be like the 5th time I'm asking you HAHA!)

Also, I know one player who is pretty upset in not being able to join this tournament. His name is paintminion and it is pretty evident as so according to his post on the WGS Amateur Tourney thread.
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:52 pm

jasechew wrote: ... "NP with big innocent anime watery round eyes" waiting to register.

Laughing You are obviously an anime fan. I know exactly what you mean too!
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by paintminion Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:30 pm

people chill la... HF crew got nerfed. Half of TB crew got nerfed. WGS regs who joined PP leagues to get some games in got nerfed.

Also Tekanan, I am not upset because i can't play. I'm annoyed cos I try to support all gaming locales by participating in their events and here I can't.

Best bit is due to only being able to play when I can, less than Gizmoducks tally of games. Not fully grasping the rules and what my own models/armies can do, does not rank someone a a pro.

The 5th was initially for an unchartered seas tourny which got pushed to a later date due to many unable to attend on the fifth. Now those who play WM/H and US will not get to participate the doubles too. I know off a few.

Laughing

Last edited by paintminion on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

paintminion
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:40 pm

Tekanan wrote:@ppl who wants me to attend: Sorry for sounding wishy-washy but I really did have my second thoughts after reading the post on WGS. It's not like I've totally decided on not going though. Heck I'm more inclined on going at the moment! But that 2nd thoughts have been really bugging me....

Maybe if I played a non-khador army.... jasechew! Borrow your skarre army!! (that has got to be like the 5th time I'm asking you HAHA!)

Also, I know one player who is pretty upset in not being able to join this tournament. His name is paintminion and it is pretty evident as so according to his post on the WGS Amateur Tourney thread.

Skarre army, did u ever asked me that? u always asked me lend you Cryx when its not a Cryx day for me><
U mean the eSkarre Jacks List?
Well Its a tournament no problem. Lemme know what u need
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:59 pm

paintminion wrote:people chill la... HF crew got nerfed. Half of TB crew got nerfed. WGS regs who joined PP leagues to get some games in got nerfed.

Also Tekanan, I am not upset because i can't play. I'm annoyed cos I try to support all gaming locales by participating in their events and here I can't.

Best bit is due to only being able to play when I can, less than Gizmoducks tally of games. Not fully grasping the rules and what my own models/armies can do, does not rank someone a a pro.

The 5th was initially for an unchartered seas tourny which got pushed to a later date due to many unable to attend on the fifth. Now those who play WM/H and US will not get to participate the doubles too. I know off a few.

Laughing

I see. Sorry for misinterpreting!
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next