Warmachine Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using * Action

+4
polarloon
Tekanan
almond
adiaze
8 posters

Go down

Using * Action Empty Using * Action

Post by adiaze Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:32 pm

Example with a unit with 4 dudes, and all the * action on the unit actually triggers with individual models, meaning (this model) rather than the term (this unit).

Can each model in the unit perform different * action? Or all must do the same * action?
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Using * Action Empty Re: Using * Action

Post by almond Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Same action. But can be done on different targets.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:34 pm

It really depends. Which unit are you referring to?
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

https://wmmalaysia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm

I thought * actions in a unit is given as an order? o.o?
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Looking at druids of orboros. As i understand from some tactica on circle i've been reading. Some mention that you can have the leader do counter magic, the other medicate.

Is that correct?
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by polarloon Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:08 pm

* actions are special attacks, not orders. so therefore each model can do a different * action.

polarloon
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:31 pm

polarloon wrote:* actions are special attacks, not orders. so therefore each model can do a different * action.

Yup that's from what I understand each of them can do different different things
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:25 pm

*actions is attack?! Is it consider melee? range? or magic? Just realized ramone caster stronger now (might be) if she can deny *action also... Damn...

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:47 pm

adiaze wrote:Looking at druids of orboros. As i understand from some tactica on circle i've been reading. Some mention that you can have the leader do counter magic, the other medicate.

Is that correct?

Yes, a druid of orboros leader can do countermagic and the others medicate.

Do note that a special action is not a special attack. They are two different things. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but a special attack is actually a form of 'special action'.

In the druids of orboros case, do also note that their skill ability is stated as Magic Ability [7]. This means that whenever they perform the stated special action, they are considered as "casting a spell" (be it offensive or not). This only applies to *actions/attacks stated under "Magic Ability".
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Every model only has 1 (advancing) movement and 1 action. An action can be combat action or special (non combat action) action. If a non Warlock/Caster does a * attack or * action, you cannot do anything else. So, you cannot do any initial attacks (ranged or melee), for example.

Basically (in general):
Activation
1. Advance
2. Action
- Initial Attacks (melee or ranged)
or
- 1 (Special) * Attack
or
- 1 (Special) * Action

The Special Action takes up your whole action section. A combat action is all your initial attacks or 1 special attack. So a Druid cannot, for example, strike with his weapon and medicate. Or medicate and force bolt.

Warlocks and Warbeasts can cast spells/animus outside of this normal action section of their activations.

Regarding orders:

Orders are specific. The normal order is Charge or Run or Ride-by-Attack. There are also specific Orders that a unit might have. An order is not the same as an action. eg. The models of unit given a charge order must charge or run. Charging models must do a melee attack (combat action) while running models forfeit their actions. There is no order to merely advance and do an action. for example.

Another example: models in a Temple Flameguard unit given Shield Wall order cannot run or charge but they can advance and attack. Or simply stay put.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:48 pm

ah...

so just to confirm. it is Move + one action

Action
a. Combat action
a.1. *attack

or

b. Special action / *action

So when a unit perform a Combat Action can some of them do normal attack while some do *attack

When performing *action, if there are multiple *action available, the unit models can choose which to perform?

Also to confirm

1. *attack can be used on a charge but not *action is it?
2. is an *attack considered a melee attack? or range attack? Or is it a class of it's own?

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:55 pm

Gliblit wrote:So when a unit perform a Combat Action can some of them do normal attack while some do *attack
Yes, unless specified otherwise.

When performing *action, if there are multiple *action available, the unit models can choose which to perform?
Yes.

Also to confirm

1. *attack can be used on a charge but not *action is it?
2. is an *attack considered a melee attack? or range attack? Or is it a class of it's own?
1. A *action/*attack can be used on a charge IF it is an ability of the weapon (i.e. stated under the weapon's rules). An exception is like the Devastator's Rain of Death, where it specifically says that you can use the *action on a charge.
2. A *attack can generate a melee attack, range attack, or a magic attack. It all depends on its context.
e.g. Thresher (B-09) is a melee attack, Multi-fire (Harlan Versh) is a range attack. Venom (warwitch siren) is a magic attack.
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:38 am

What Tekanan said above is correct - * actions/attacks might trigger some attack-type thing. It all depends on the special rules.

Another example:
A unit of Choir of Menoth - some models can sing, some can attack (if within range) but all members that do sing must sing the same song as per the choir singing rules.

The whole unit activates at the same time and may or may not be given an order (depending on circumstances) but each model might be doing something different.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:41 am

understood... units are new to me, need to brush up on the rules

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:45 am

Luckily i asked. Time for us to utilise the rules forums more.

I could have done a lot more things during the tournament with those units, but oh well. Lesson learned.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by squee Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:45 am

* actions a re a kind of special action, but my knowledge on unit abilities is limited as the only units I ever used were demo korps, Mechaniks and Widowmakers.

From my understanding if a unit has access to * actions/attacks, their ability to vary these options depends on the individual unit. e.g: Demo Korps has access to backswing or Icebreaker. So in a 3-man unit, I could have two of them backswing and one of them do icebreaker.

...I forgot what my point was.
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

http://www.binkibonsai.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:48 pm

Your point is you are Squee...

i need to rethink my evaluation of certain units now.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down