Warmachine Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warmachine Terrain Making Night

+7
Gliblit
gizmoduck
thevampiredio
adiaze
almond
Wayfarer
jasechew
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Warmachine Terrain Making Night Empty Warmachine Terrain Making Night

Post by jasechew Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi guys ,
Anyone Interested in making simple terrain to improve our gaming environment?, I believe u guys should realize by now that most of the terrain we were using now were not up to PP standards some even cant fit on land out minis on it.

For those who can make it please do inform me when u guys free to meet up as we will try arrange something together.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Warmachine Terrain Making Night Empty Re: Warmachine Terrain Making Night

Post by Wayfarer Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:51 pm

Well, if you want really quick terrain, there's nothing like cardstock terrain. Print-cut-glue. Some nice buildings around. I have this set, for example:

http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/fantasy/3d-paper-terrain/dragonshire/dragonshire-deluxe-edition-fdg0072

Warmachine Terrain Making Night FDG0072AW10

There's a ruined corner of a house in WGS that I made from this set's expansion, here (the last pic):

http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/fantasy/3d-paper-terrain/dragonshire/dragonshire-city-ruins-fdg0078

I don't think we have any really urban combat games before?

Something like this:
http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/warmachine-diorama

but simpler and more geared for gaming than display.

Also, WorldWorksGames has some nice urban terrain:

Ultimate Castle (nice for sieges, campaigns):
http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=15

Siege engines (good for scenarios with castles)
http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=21

City streets:
http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=303

Canals (water terrain!):
http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=306

The ship in this pic:
Warmachine Terrain Making Night Soh3_4

Is here:
http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=27

Outdoor forest terrain is here:
http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=260

Last edited by Wayfarer on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Let's make an urban table!

You have to pay for worldworks papercraft terrains right? If I'm not mistaken.

addendum: Can someone list out the dimensions for a PP legal terrain? I might take a shot at a couple in the next two weeks or so if I have the time.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:15 pm

I look it up, and worldworks cost USD17 per pdf. If we can get at least around 8 people to share, that works out to around RM6 per pdf, and everyone gets a copy. Share with 17 guys, that's only RM3 per pdf.

THat is still workable if you ask me.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:43 pm

Yup, the WWG terrain is for sale. It's not too expensive, actually. Considering you can print as much as you like. Also, I have a set of freely downloadable pdfs for... I think D&D usage. I can't remember where I got it from but let me search for it.

As for PP's terrain sizes... there's no real set size except standard wall and trench templates. There are size categories for the different terrain types, though.

Obstacles: any terrain <=1" high
Linear Obstacles: <=1" high, < 1" wide

Wall template (from back of rulebook):
0.8" wide x 4" long (up to 1" high is considered Linear Obstacle)

Walls higher than that become Obstructions.

Wall heights to block LOS:
<1.75" (does not block LOS to any models)
1.75" - 2.25" (blocks LOS to small based models)
2.25" - 2.75" (blocks LOS to small and medium based models)
>2.75" (blocks LOS to all models)

Trenches:
Standard trench template (from back of rulebook): 3" x 5"
They can be joined to make long trenches. There are specific rules that govern trenches, though.

Last edited by Wayfarer on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by thevampiredio Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:45 pm

OMG those are b-b-beautifull!!! they look like ps2 game enviroment if i squen my eyes!
thevampiredio
thevampiredio
Leader

http://thevampiredio.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:52 pm

hehe, yeah. There's also structure in many of these pieces that enable you to put even heavy 'jacks on them. 200gsm cardstock is recommended, though. A self-healing cutting board is a must!

EDIT: Ah, found it. These models are free, the textures are not as good as the professional ones by WWG and Fat Dragon but they are freely downloadable. If you've never done paper terrain before, try some of these first (they come with instructions) before we build some purchased ones:

Foldup Paper Models
Compiled Archive
By Rob Lazzaretti, Dennis Kauth, and Todd Gamble
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fpm/archive

Warmachine Terrain Making Night Free-t10

Unfortunately, my printer is busted and I haven't gotten around to replacing it. For best results, use a good (RM300-600) inkjet printer.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:15 am

Quick addition: One of the nice features of the professional WWG/Fat Dragon sets is that they come with interiors. So we can actually use the Structures and Entryways rules in the rulebook (Prime MkII, page 88-89).

Long gunners lurking in that house? Bring the house down! Very Happy

Or, you could send some stealthed 'ninja' units around the back door...
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:25 am

Wayfarer wrote:Quick addition: One of the nice features of the professional WWG/Fat Dragon sets is that they come with interiors. So we can actually use the Structures and Entryways rules in the rulebook (Prime MkII, page 88-89).

Long gunners lurking in that house? Bring the house down! Very Happy

Or, you could send some stealthed 'ninja' units around the back door...

Marauders in Mk 1 loves buildings. Makes no difference now however.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:09 am

These are really good, I was just checking them out yesterday... Very Happy Perhaps a good time for us to invest in a foam cutter?
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Printed terrain lack three dimentional details but saves us on painting time and is fast to build! And fo looks good.

So Wayfarer, when are you free to come over? What are you bringing? What else do we need? I can dig through my old stash to look for tools. Also... what else you have made? These talks of terrain is getting me excited!!

What are we going to make? Wayfarer what is your craft level? Are we going to sculpt? Make working doors and windows?

So when are you comjng over o'wayfarer?! Come come this week!!!! Come! Tell me what level if stuff you want to make, I'll get my tools ready.

Btw, I have a few of the older sets from World Works. Done a bunch way back. Someone loan me a laptop so I can work things out. It's bound to be in one of my old hard disc.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:54 pm

Free to come over...where? Where are we making terrain? Next weekend is good.

I can bring cutting matt, an exacto blade, glue, steel ruler, black marker (for edging) and misc. cardboard. I can also bring my cardsheets.

From my experience, the best results from printing straight to the card sheets but not all printers can do it well. Printing on paper and then gluing onto card is easier but you'll need to use heavier 80gsm paper or it will warp. Also, you'll need to be careful using water-based glues as the ink from inkjets will smudge.

I had another building made but it's at WGS now. I've semi-printed out another 2 buildings before my printer died (not enough parts to make the building, though). Doors and windows are going to be cut-outs. Doors will just swing open. No sculpting! Smile I'm not sure about cutting the windows either as the glass texture is quite nice.

Roofs and floors of the Fat Dragon sets are removable and have printed interior floors - so you can actually fight inside them, though the buildings themselves aren't very big.

For real fighting inside of buildings, you'll want this:
Warmachine Terrain Making Night Ttlxe_3
Here: http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=313

and this:
Warmachine Terrain Making Night Ickb1
Here: http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=17

So which sets do you have, Gliblit?
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Do we have a set theme that we want to build first? And secondly, where are we going to place these newly built terrains?
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by [Ghost] Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:13 pm

I believe the idea behind the terrain building is that we`re also going to be playing at Kenji's place on occasion. And since he doesn't have any terrain we`ll have to make our own.

If this is the case, we should think about building stuff thats a little more general, e.g. rough terrain, water, forests, etc.

[Ghost]
[Ghost]
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:24 pm

[Ghost] wrote:I believe the idea behind the terrain building is that we`re also going to be playing at Kenji's place on occasion. And since he doesn't have any terrain we`ll have to make our own.

If this is the case, we should think about building stuff thats a little more general, e.g. rough terrain, water, forests, etc.

Well those all we got to do is just print and laminate
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:34 am

Yup, I think gliblit has some WWG terrain sets. There's forests and trees and water (pools and rivers). Is The Tavern (Kenji's place) the new WM/H port? They play boardgames and card games there so tabletop space might be better/easier than at HF? I think cardstock terrain is also better for TT (The Tavern) since it's neater and cleaner. The new WWG Terrainlynx system also all fold flat (the buildings can come off and be folded). Very easy to keep but it does mean setting up takes a tiny little bit more time.

So, terrain building at TT this weekend? Or...when? Have you asked Kenji?
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by squee Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:02 am

Hm; maybe upcoming Sunday we could have a terrain building day? I'm useless with cutting straight lines and building card buildings, but I could help hammer together wooden fences and barricades.

Also been toying with the idea of rubble mounds and Dragons Teeth built out of plasticine and heavily varnished, then snowing the whole lot to make convincing fortifications and embankments.

Stalingrad (Volningrad), anyone?
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

http://www.binkibonsai.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:17 am

Well Sunday sounds good to me
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 am

Haha, you guys working night shift or what? I thought I was the only night owl on the forums.

@squee: Cutting straight lines is what the metal (steel) ruler is for. It's really easy to cut stuff that way. If you're not up to making card buildings, fences and barricades will definitely be appreciated. Linear obstacles for cover is always good.

Dragon's teeth too but since we don't have tanks, I think we need to be able to destroy them or heavy jacks might not get through. Sunday sounds good to me too. What time are you guys going?
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:54 am

I can build if someone is printing the WWG stuff. I don't have a printer :'( I'm not sure about this Sunday though. MY schedule is picking up a lot of steam this week >.<
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:31 am

I've got an idea, why don't the first meet up be a brainstorming session? Perhaps work on a theme and layout. Then we divide our work equally amongst those who are participating. I'm planning on getting a foam cutter and working on hills maybe. Sounds like something easy I can try out first. Others can work on the buildings / fences / water etc.
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:56 am

Sounds good. Or we can discuss it here and just start working :p

I can throw off a few themes to get it rolling:

1) Battle plains: Your regular gaming board with a hill, a forest and maybe a small lake. Trenches built in sections can fit here wonderfully, as do craters.

2) Urban city fight: Lots of buildings with the occasional low wall and a park for the forest folks. More planning required and roads will have to be measured (the main road enough for 3 jacks to walk side by side? An alleyway too small for heavy jacks to go through?)

3) Underground canals: Lots of pools, walkways and more importantly, walls and pillars. Very slam-tastic terrain. Like #2, proper planning required to determine the size of the walkways.

4) Heavy forest folk: Cliffsides, lots of forest, maybe even tree building where the models can fight on (think Return of the Jedi Ewok village).

5) Ruined city: Like #2, except with more difficult terrain and low cover for everyone to utilize. More grey and black (perfect for lazy painters).

6) The docks: I figured this is more of an advanced project. One side water, the playing field will be the docks, filled with crates, carts and bags. Maybe even a crane or loading contraption in the middle. Should come with a complement of stairs as well.

Any other ideas would be great. Personally, I'd like to go with urban fight for Kenji's place. It'll be a different playing experience and would mostly require papercrafting (hence easy assembly without breaking out the paint pot).
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:20 pm

In terms of paint, I think Buncho paints would be good enough for poly and paper Very Happy I got an unused set somewhere lol.. just have to do a lot of mixing to get the tone right.

I think let's go with urban first since we can easily source out parts to make things. I volunteer for towers Very Happy got this idea with pringles and coke cans hehe...

Something like this seems relatively quite simple to make? I reckon a white table / tablecloth, add some trees (I've seen tutorials some where) and some abandoned indutrial relics and presto! Khadorian landscape! Warmachine Terrain Making Night Winterseason1
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by squee Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 pm

I like that; looks simple enough. Add a few buildings and we could have a town or rural landscape...
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

http://www.binkibonsai.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Its nice and its also piratical
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down