Warmachine Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army

+5
JINTANA
gizmoduck
Tekanan
[Ghost]
jasechew
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army Empty Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army

Post by jasechew Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:15 pm

As days go by the WM Malaysia communities is growing bigger.

We need some help to guide and show how this game works.
As everyone knows I cant teach I only can play if anyone would learn from me probably end up being more confused.

therefore I was hoping that anyone of u guys can help out to run demo games and/or if possible lend me demo armies too as I have few new players were looking into the game and wanted to start yet have not decided.

Last edited by jasechew on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army Empty Re: Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army

Post by [Ghost] Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Magnus finally takes time to join the forums properly.

Anyway, on topic. I wouldn't mind helping out with some demo games for newbies. I figure since I write English textbooks for retards it shouldn't be too hard to teach this game. Just as long as we decide which rules they need to know to get started, e.g no power attacks, units, cavalry, etc.
[Ghost]
[Ghost]
Leader

Back to top Go down

Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army Empty Re: Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army

Post by jasechew Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:22 pm

[Ghost] wrote:Magnus finally takes time to join the forums properly.

Anyway, on topic. I wouldn't mind helping out with some demo games for newbies. I figure since I write English textbooks for retards it shouldn't be too hard to teach this game. Just as long as we decide which rules they need to know to get started, e.g no power attacks, units, cavalry, etc.

Thanks for your help and nice to see you here too Magnus.
Well I believe u know which 3 newbie I'm referring to here and YES u know all 3 of them.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:24 pm

[Ghost] wrote:I figure since I write English textbooks for retards......
wth u do?? What a noble cause!
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

https://wmmalaysia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:25 pm

[Ghost] wrote:I figure since I write English textbooks for retards......
wth u do?? What a noble cause!

Btw jin is teaching me hordes today i think...
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Very Happy I don't mind teaching the basic rules to newbies despite being a newt myself Smile .. Maybe we should have like, new players who want to get into Khador can have the Khador players teach them, cryx with cryx players etc? I think I can muster up two 15pts armies for PoM demo.

What should a basic demo cover..? It's not like 40k where the demos are very easy to explain. WM is like

Trainer: "Now your warcaster can use his feat" Twisted Evil

New player " confused confused Crying or Very sad

Trainer: "Read you caster card"

New Player: "What the hell is an incorporeal??"

Trainer: " afro glad you asked"
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JINTANA Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:04 pm

*Tekanan, may be later tonight, working the late shift tonight
sob sob
JINTANA
JINTANA
Standard Bearer

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:53 pm

[Ghost] wrote:

Well u got a point
Therefore I shall write a WM manual for newbie .
It should be something simple and easy to understand for guidance on basic things u can do in Warmachine.
Unfortunately I wasn't that good in Hordes so probably someone else might got to do it.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Uh... The starter rules and stuff you get I the starter is excellent. And the starter box is also excellent.

Or we can do you plus newbie versus any ransoms newt like me.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:08 pm

This a beta version.
What you guys think ? lemme know if anything important missing which you think should be there.

A basic chat to follow step by step during lesson.

1. STATS

SPD - Move up to your speed in Inches.
STR - Determine how hard you hit in Melee attack.
MAT - Determine how easy you hit Melee attack.
RAT - Determine how easy you hit in Range attack.
DEF - Determine how easy YOU ARE HIT.
ARM - Determine how much discount u taking from damage.
CMD – Determine the chances u get betrayed by your troops.
FOCUS - Determine how much funky things u can do in a turn.

WJ/WB Points: Determine how much JACK Discount you have.

2. MAINTENANCE PHARSE
-Checks for continues Effects.
-Remove all unused FOCUS.

3. CONTROL PHRASE.
- Warcaster gain FOCUS equal to his/her FOCUS value.
- Focus Allocation: give 1-3 your Warcaster focus to your Jack (can be done repeatedly till you are OUT of focus).
- Shake Off: Spend a Focus after allocation on a JACK or WARCASTER to recover from KNOCKED DOWN/ STATIONARY EFFECT.

4. ACTIVATION PHRASE
- Select a Model you wish to activate to perform following action.
- One Move & one Action/Attack.
- CHARGE Action: take out both move and attack action. Move at movement +3 and get to make a attack with boosted damage.(Boosted: roll 3D6 instead of 2D6)
- RUN Action: Spend both move & attack action & can do NOTHING after that.

Lesson One

Each model in this game is a Individual expect for "unit models" It Activate and Move individually.

Always Move 1st before make Action/Attack (coz the rulebook say so). Your Model must be at least 0.5 inch from the target in order for you to try to hit it. You can make an attack using each melee weapon which is in range of the target.
Roll 2D6 + your MAT against target DEF : If equal or higher of the value you hit the target(if not try boosting next time)

Dealing Damage
After u hit the target : Roll 2D6 + weapon P+S against target's ARM if the value exceed the ARM Value congratz the exceeding value is the damage you dealt to the target. If up are up against a tough model like a JACK/BEAST roll 1D6 after calculated the value to determine where the damage goes to.

PS:Each model have a set numbers of hit points just that JACKS/BEASTS value slightly higher( u wont know how hard its until u try hitting one) . But as normal when it hit points finishes it Dies.

Lesson Two
Feat it’s a special unique ability which only Warcaster have. It’s so unique that only can be used once per game.
Spells it’s a list of magical things which a model can do just pay the cost read the card and use the spell.

Feat and Spells can be done anytime as long as not between an Action/Attack and Movement.

Very Important Point (VIP): with 1 FOCUS / FURY u can opt to boost an attack or damage roll .While boosted the roll is instead of 2 x Boring D6 it became 3D6. FOCUS also can be use to buy attacks each FOCUS can be spend to buy an attack.

Each unspent FOCUS on a warcaster adds a point of ARM.
PS: IF UR WARCASTER DIE UR ENEMY WIN THE GAME.

Simple Warmachine for newbie starting guide

Written by

Jase Chew
WMalaysia Jr Warcaster

Last edited by jasechew on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:12 am; edited 3 times in total
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Very impressive!!!!!! I do mean it!!! Impressive!

Do you think we should add in uh... Rate of Fire?

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Gliblit wrote:Very impressive!!!!!! I do mean it!!! Impressive!

Do you think we should add in uh... Rate of Fire?

Thanks.
Well I thought of those but its kinda long story and not many basic units have them.
so i decided for the trainer to decide wheather to go more details on things like on RANGE ATKS, Terrains and others.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:36 pm

I think just obstruction, can't see through can't move through. Kao Tim!

If they have range then, teach lo. And tell them that advance rule got rules to represent harder to hit target. Show only line of sight.

But you are right, range is complicated.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Some additions for Hordes:

2. (Maintenance Phase)
- Leave fury on beasts

3. (Control Phase)
- Fury Manipulators can leach fury off beasts up to FURY stat. (same time as warcasters get focus)
- Pay for upkeep or let expire (this is when upkeep spells expire, normally. ie. they are still active during Maintenance Phase)
- Threshold checks for warbeasts with 1+ fury on them, if fail, frenzy immediately.
- then shake off effects
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by [Ghost] Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:53 am

Thats an excellent newbie guide right there. But I think you forgot to mention the warcaster's control area and maybe a section about how spells work.

I don't think newbies need to worry about things like terrain. Just let them learn the game first.
[Ghost]
[Ghost]
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:00 am

Hmmm maybe a second game guide.

And I propose that newbies game be implemented. Meaning for first few games, play only simple terrain, caster, and always warn them of fatal mistake and allow take back.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Gliblit wrote:Hmmm maybe a second game guide.

And I propose that newbies game be implemented. Meaning for first few games, play only simple terrain, caster, and always warn them of fatal mistake and allow take back.

But sometimes too many games with different models will get ppl confused.
I would say save ur time and move along, demo once or twice only to let em get the concept of the game.

Well if they like, it its already proven ,
I would say the best way to start its like any other game getting a starter it will never goes wrong. The only worse possible is choosing the wrong faction. From the starter we guide them how to pilot his own unit.

Therefore I would always suggest that newbie starts with starter 1st. Its value for money and also most of the models that appear in the starter are good model.

Last edited by jasechew on Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:36 pm

Hmm... I think you are right. They packaged the starter rather well, and the starter rules is excellent.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by [Ghost] Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:19 am

If we want to recommend the starter to newbies then we should try to make the demo games based on the starter. So then they already have an idea of what the models do.
[Ghost]
[Ghost]
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:59 am

Agreed. When you want to get newbies into a game, you should always start them off with starters, since it gives you the rules, the units, and generally factions are counterbalanced against each other in starter and it's easier to start them off.

Does the starter have the quick rules in them? You dont want to tell newbies, yes, you need to buy Prime and starters at the same time. Smile

Showing them demos with your best deck doesn't help by much. Matching starter to starter does for the purpose of demos.

Just my 2 cents.

adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:23 am

Uh. Yes they do have quick rules. But Jason one easier to teach.

I started from the starter, with butcher instead of the ice bitch, against the same list.

Eh? Adi you started? How well do you think your horde starter match up against warmachine? They balance?

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:55 am

Starter to starter wise, they should be ok. I wouldn't know frankly, since i didn't try starter to starter in my case. Smile

But i was reading up on the newbie section of the pp forums, and it seems to be fairly balanced comparing starter to starter. There was a thread on that one iirc.

Although teaching newbies Warmachine vs Hordes is a bit difficult since they use slightly different but important mechanics between the two, (fury risk management vs focus resource management)

Jason's guide to start for newbie is good, but i also think that you need to demo two 'easy' army to learn how to play. Since some of the faction have more complicated rules. Like some needs terrain, (circle) to be effective. And no, Legion is not a good beginning faction to teach. Unseen sight will spoil their learning curve for the rest of the gaming experience.

Frankly, easy smash attack type for teaching people, is Khador and Skorne. (Warmachine vs Hordes demo) Anybody got other opinion on the best faction to teach? minusing the complicated mechanics?
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:05 am

IMO it's best to stick WM vs WM or Hordes vs Hordes with it comes to introduction. I find that WM newbies tend to find it difficult against Hordes and vice versa.

There's a quick ref sheet in the downloads section that I strongly recommend to give to the newbie. All information in it is correct except for 1 ruling. Smile
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:57 am

adiaze wrote:Starter to starter wise, they should be OK. I wouldn't know frankly, since i didn't try starter to starter in my case. Smile

Frankly, easy smash attack type for teaching people, is Khador and Skorne. (Warmachine vs Hordes demo) Anybody got other opinion on the best faction to teach? minusing the complicated mechanics?

Adiaze you different those who from Magic and L5R background its easy and also used to environment of deck building and strategies planing. From what I can see the game play rules its kinda like Magic for the focus part. As for the executing part its like L5R individual model/unit and the action its sequential. So guys just watch out when u meet Adi on the field.

Well Khador and Skorne starters have nice model but complicated caster to teach. Meanwhile
Everblight and Cryx its kinda teach using them. Everblight is quite good overall but must master both range and melee which is kinda tough. Cryx I dont bother talking bout it I believe everyone faced or fought a Cryx b4 will get what I mean.Circle need terrain. Troll no Heavies. For Hordes I would say if u ask me to pick from Hordes I would say easiest to teach will be Circle and Everblight.

I would suggest let them learn from two most rarely played faction in WM.Which is quite strong and easy to teach. I'm actually already working on getting them.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:21 pm

jasechew wrote:
Adiaze you different those who from Magic and L5R background its easy and also used to environment of deck building and strategies planing. From what I can see the game play rules its kinda like Magic for the focus part. As for the executing part its like L5R individual model/unit and the action its sequential.

True. Having a basis of ccg rulings makes it easier to see things, but well, it's still dice involved. Smile

jasechew wrote:
Well Khador and Skorne starters have nice model but complicated caster to teach. Meanwhile
Everblight and Cryx its kinda teach using them. Everblight is quite good overall but must master both range and melee which is kinda tough. Cryx I dont bother talking bout it I believe everyone faced or fought a Cryx b4 will get what I mean.Circle need terrain. Troll no Heavies. For Hordes I would say if u ask me to pick from Hordes I would say easiest to teach will be Circle and Everblight.

I suppose this is the difficulty of learning WM in terms of finding the right balance to teach newbies. For me, teaching newbies matters a lot since it will more or less set their path for future, especially when they are cash-strapped. One of the reason of getting a caster that ignores normal LOS and such, "Unseen Sight" is that it hampers their playstyle since they are unwilling to 'let go' that advantage. Jasechew, to quote an example, you remember that i don't teach newbies to play unicorn in l5r since the cavalry will scar them for life. They will be too used to cavalry for the rest of their life, that other clan just cannot match up to that sleazing advantage. Razz

jasechew wrote:
I would suggest let them learn from two most rarely played faction in WM.Which is quite strong and easy to teach. I'm actually already working on getting them.

Perhaps. WM to WM vs HDS to HDS is a good idea, but the disadvantage to that, a newbie might not be inclined to play Hordes once they've seen Warmachine (in terms of looks and all that) simply that we have to assume that any newbies, especially to make this game initially cheap to them is to play one faction. And a lot will naturally flock to Warmachine, rather than Hordes. (Maybe I'm just biased, being a hordes player. Razz)

More importantly, if you have a demo of WM vs HDS, then you can teach the player, to play both sides of the fence. One guy play WM first, then next game he takes HDS. You'll be surprised that there are people who prefer risk management compared to resource management mentality. So giving them both an oppourtunity to learn that mechanic will allow them to decide. Of course, we probably have to do up a faction table with type / backstory / chicks / warjacks/beast / powers. This is something magic is simple, red=burn, black=death, blue=counter etc...

Bah.. Maybe I think too much. Having said that, anyway, why not we create a thread for newbie demo list? that will ensure that we have a list of starter line up that we can use to teach. Although I'm still a noob, so not sure how much i can teach. Razz Razz Razz
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next