Warmachine Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army

+5
JINTANA
gizmoduck
Tekanan
[Ghost]
jasechew
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army - Page 2 Empty Re: Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army

Post by [Ghost] Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:19 pm

I think teaching wm vs hordes as a demo game would make it harder to teach. Since we have both fury vs focus to deal with. Better to keep it simple for first timers.

Especially since we don't have experience teaching the game, so keeping to one system will make it easier for us too.

[Ghost]
[Ghost]
Leader

Back to top Go down

Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army - Page 2 Empty Re: Warmachine/Hordes Demo Team and Demo Army

Post by adiaze Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:26 pm

Then try to balance demo between the two, as there will less Hordes demo running around. Razz
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:32 pm

Well we do need more Hordes players . We will work things out for Hordes later. As we dont have enough players and models to teach Hordes even we want to.

Hordes vs Warmachine I don't think is a good Idea cause need someone who knows both faction to teach and players get confused as why the game works so differently.But I think is workable if u got a method to do it and it did be interesting.

In this game everything is BROKEN therefore its balance and we cant get them all (even so some of us still trying ...).
When a newbie come to this kind of environment normally they temp to try all and pick the most broken and suitable for themselves. But unfortunately we are not PPC (Pivateer Press Corperation).
We NPC ppl (Nice Player Characteristic) do need some time for gaming ourselves too.

I would suggest choose the faction base on story and play style.
Then try to arrange a demo game or two, to teach the basic game play.(I will try to arrange starters for demo)

From there suggest the newbie to get a starter and we guild him/her build army from there.( I don't mind guiding if its a HER)

Ahemm...Well I know most of you ppl is a nice bunch of fella and which always try their best to be helpful but sometimes the more u teach/show/help the more confused the newbie. Cause from the way I see it there is just too much possibility/combo/play style/nice models in this game.(and yes u cant gotta get em all Pokemon lied)

jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:15 am

Yay... Less is more. Let them choose a faction and let them play... Just teach rules and answer questions.

Getting trash is part of the process.

Cheers

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:07 am

An easy demo game would be battle box vs battle box, using the quick start rules (which is surprisingly good btw). Sure, some boxes might be unbalanced in terms of points, but the core fundamental idea of using focus/fury is there.

Therefore, even in a mixed demo, focus and fury should always be highlighted as the main features, as well as the differences between the 2.

The other rules like "incorporeal", etc. don't need to be introduced in the demo. That can be discovered when the newbie takes the plunge and buys Prime/Primal mk2, which should always be a first purchase.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:48 am

almond wrote:An easy demo game would be battle box vs battle box, using the quick start rules (which is surprisingly good btw). Sure, some boxes might be unbalanced in terms of points, but the core fundamental idea of using focus/fury is there.

Therefore, even in a mixed demo, focus and fury should always be highlighted as the main features, as well as the differences between the 2.

The other rules like "incorporeal", etc. don't need to be introduced in the demo. That can be discovered when the newbie takes the plunge and buys Prime/Primal mk2, which should always be a first purchase.

Well the demo will be in battle box vs battle box for efficiency.
The quick starts rules from box set that good? I have not seen it before as I never a single bought starter in my whole life in playing Warmachine. Mad

Yup the players handbook must have its not just for basic ruling also for missions and bond its a good buy.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:57 am

Yep. The quickstart rules is enough to start playing, which is what we want. Ignore the advanced rules for the demo and keep to QS. It can easily be taught during play if the demo-er is familiar with it.

There are only 2 jack power attacks explained in the QS if I'm not mistaken, which is slam and head butt, but I find them okay enough. LOS is written but it is better to teach that on the table with actual play.

The new QS sheet also has cards printed on the sheet, the cards are from all factions' battle box contents. So they can read up what each faction is capable of doing and can decide what to play after their first demo, not necessarily sticking to the one that they played.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:59 am

Btw the method I mention before ,
Its just a suggestion I could have been wrong its written out of intuition.

As I not much exprience as a tutor,
but as a player that's what I think I need as a newbie when I starts.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:02 am

almond wrote:Yep. The quickstart rules is enough to start playing, which is what we want. Ignore the advanced rules for the demo and keep to QS. It can easily be taught during play if the demo-er is familiar with it.

There are only 2 jack power attacks explained in the QS if I'm not mistaken, which is slam and head butt, but I find them okay enough. LOS is written but it is better to teach that on the table with actual play.

The new QS sheet also has cards printed on the sheet, the cards are from all factions' battle box contents. So they can read up what each faction is capable of doing and can decide what to play after their first demo, not necessarily sticking to the one that they played.

Wow that's kinda good getting battle box set even seems like even a better idea now.

Well unfortunately I doesn't any copy of those.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:09 am

I have a copy. I can give it to you guys to make a demo, no problem Smile It'll help if there's another copy to let the newbie read as well though. Don't ask him/her to read the rules, but make him/her aware of the printed cards instead. This way he can read what his models can do as well as being aware what your models can do as well.

I'm betting the new upcoming Hordes battle box will follow this format. It's really a great way to get a new player's feet wet imho.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:30 pm

almond wrote:I have a copy. I can give it to you guys to make a demo, no problem Smile It'll help if there's another copy to let the newbie read as well though. Don't ask him/her to read the rules, but make him/her aware of the printed cards instead. This way he can read what his models can do as well as being aware what your models can do as well.

I'm betting the new upcoming Hordes battle box will follow this format. It's really a great way to get a new player's feet wet imho.

Noooooooo....I remember now..... I do have 1 of those from the starter I won on the WM Tourney... I think I "campak" it redi as I see many words .
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Finalizing Warmachine for newbie starting guide .
Please let me know if there is anything I need to add in .
Thanks

Simple Warmachine for newbie starting guide

1. STATS
SPD - Move up to your speed in Inches.
STR - Determine how hard you hit in Melee attack.
MAT - Determine how easy you hit Melee attack.
RAT - Determine how easy you hit in Range attack.
DEF - Determine how easy YOU ARE HIT.
ARM - Determine how much discount u taking from damage.
CMD – Determine the chances u get betrayed by your troops.
FOCUS - Determine how much funky things u can do in a turn.
WJ/WB Points: Determine how much JACK Discount you have.

2. MAINTENANCE PHARSE
-Checks for continues Effects.
-Remove all unused FOCUS.

3. CONTROL PHRASE.
- Warcaster gain FOCUS equal to his/her FOCUS value.
- Focus Allocation: give 1-3 your Warcaster focus to your Jack (can be done repeatedly till you are OUT of focus).
- Shake Off: Spend a Focus after allocation on a JACK or WARCASTER to recover from KNOCKED DOWN/ STATIONARY EFFECT.

4. ACTIVATION PHRASE
- Select a Model you wish to activate to perform following action.
- One Move & one Action/Attack.
- CHARGE Action: take out both move and attack action. Move at movement +3 and get to make a attack with boosted damage.(Boosted: roll 3D6 instead of 2D6)
- RUN Action: Spend both move & attack action & can do NOTHING after that.

Lesson One
Each model in this game is a Individual expect for "unit models" It Activate and Move individually.

Always Move 1st before make Action/Attack (coz the rulebook say so). Your Model must be at least 0.5 inch from the target in order for you to try to hit it. You can make an attack using each melee weapon which is in range of the target.
Roll 2D6 + your MAT against target DEF : If equal or higher of the value you hit the target(if not try boosting next time)

Dealing Damage
After u hit the target : Roll 2D6 + weapon P+S against target's ARM if the value exceed the ARM Value congratz the exceeding value is the damage you dealt to the target. If up are up against a tough model like a JACK/BEAST roll 1D6 after calculated the value to determine where the damage goes to.

PS:Each model have a set numbers of hit points just that JACKS/BEASTS value slightly higher( u wont know how hard its until u try hitting one) . But as normal when it hit points finishes it Dies.

Lesson Two
Feat it’s a special unique ability which only Warcaster have. It’s so unique that only can be used once per game.
Spells it’s a list of magical things which a model can do just pay the cost read the card and use the spell.
Feat and Spells can be done anytime as long as not between an Action/Attack and Movement.

Very Important Point (VIP): with 1 FOCUS / FURY u can opt to boost an attack or damage roll .While boosted the roll is instead of 2 x Boring D6 it became 3D6. FOCUS also can be use to buy attacks each FOCUS can be spend to buy an attack.

Each unspent FOCUS on a warcaster adds a point of ARM.
PS: IF UR WARCASTER DIE UR ENEMY WIN THE GAME.

Good Luck to you fellow Warmachine player go pawn some noob and make me proud!!
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:36 pm

You can always download the Warmachine MkII starter/demo rules (and starter box cards) in pdf here:

http://privateerpress.com/company/warmachine-mk-ii-quickstart-rules-are-here

I think the front is rules and the back is the cards.

Also, the Hordes equivalent MkII pdf is here:

http://privateerpress.com/files/Hordes%20MkII%20DemoRules-WEB.pdf
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Wayfarer wrote:You can always download the Warmachine MkII starter/demo rules (and starter box cards) in pdf here:

http://privateerpress.com/company/warmachine-mk-ii-quickstart-rules-are-here

I think the front is rules and the back is the cards.

Also, the Hordes equivalent MkII pdf is here:

http://privateerpress.com/files/Hordes%20MkII%20DemoRules-WEB.pdf

Good one bro now I just need to go print it....
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:49 am

Tekanan you still did not tell us the 1 ruling that is wrong. Please specify so we can use the guide wisely

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:37 am

Gliblit wrote:Tekanan you still did not tell us the 1 ruling that is wrong. Please specify so we can use the guide wisely

thanks for reminding. I will add that in when i get back from work.

edit: I have since updated the thread in the dl section. Took me awhile to find for the error as I forgot where it was Razz.
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

https://wmmalaysia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:42 am

Cheers man! Good add!

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:43 pm

So how was the demo you ran today?

I think blank table works supprisingly well. Sorry I was not much help. Will learn up your guide so I can help.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2