Warmachine Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WarMachine / Hordes tokens!

5 posters

Go down

WarMachine / Hordes tokens! Empty WarMachine / Hordes tokens!

Post by Gliblit Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:56 am

I'm sorry i posted a slightly negative comments on the admin's trade and sales tread, excutive rights to delete were exercised immediately for obvious reasons. And I was asked to post here.

Ok, here is the point I made. Smiley face and pointy fingers does not fit the Iron Kingdom world so I don't like it, however there is a gear thing that looks rather cool.

(question, if only positive feed back are allowed in Trade and Sell. Then what if someone want to complain? Or felt the things sold got problems? Is it not best to let people read and made up their own mind? That's why eBay allow people to rate and comment on a seller)

Back to topic.

What do you think are acceptable tokens?

Official tokens have clear words marked on it. Some people write a little piece of paper. I made paper/cork symbols. Some use dice and beads.

I think smiley face and pointy fingers are getting out of hand a little bit. What if someone start using pokemon coins? Or little pikachu? If they use it on their units... Ok la it's not mine.

But! If a player walks in and put a cute little thing on/by your jack and says it reduce your def and arm -2... OMG WTF?!

Or put a cute face by your heavy and say it's burning!!! I will not mind if it's a piece of paper saying FIRE! or a cool looking fire. But a "sad" smiley... uh... "please don't put that beside my jack"

1. What do you think are acceptable tokens?
2. Do you think it will be a problem to remember what each tokens represents... Especially in a big game.
3. Should every tokens have it's effect (or at least it's name) written clearly on them?

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

WarMachine / Hordes tokens! Empty Re: WarMachine / Hordes tokens!

Post by Gliblit Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:08 am

It would have been really awkward if someone goes,

"that man hunter can't charge!! it has iron flesh on it."
"no... That Squirtle is FURY...."

While proxy models does represent an issue (if not done well) I am finding it hard to keep track of tokens, especially when playing against hordes.

(replying to my own post... I'm getting old.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:35 pm

If anything, it creates more confusion that it is with this tokens. I mean it's fun with lots of lols seeing the tokens, but i'm sure it will create lots of misq and tensions as you cannot remember the stuff especially in the midst of battle. In a way, I side with giblit on this.

Unless you can get the proper nice PP tokens, those i dont mind buying, at least they represent exactly what they're supposed to be. Can you put the labels in writing on the tokens?

Mod edit: moved to its relevant thread.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:19 am

I use colored gems to represent stuff. Harby no upkeep so i dun need writing lolz

Cataclysm bring da pain!
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:58 am

argh! my point exactly adi, it is confusing for people who are playing the game, imagine what it would happen to new players.

However, maybe i have step on the wrong foot here. He does not seems to take well to criticism, even his painting tread hints clearly that he can't take it. Maybe we should let it down a little, least an admin editing frenzy follows.

Gizmo, up keep is not the only thing. Hordes have TONNES of animi and spells, that stays in effect for one round. And on going elemental effects... like burning... Maybe i should... make some token with written text.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:35 am

I myself don't have any issues with using Pokemon figs as tokens or whatever. At least people know it's mine Very Happy

But really, we've been using non-descriptive glass beads and even spare dice to keep track of effects on the table already. If anything, THOSE are more confusing than out of theme specific tokens, like smileys and such.

If anything, you can always get small post-it notes and write down your effects. It looks uglier than a smiley face besides a model, but it removes all confusion.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:57 am

Actually, all i asked in the thread before i got modded, can the effects be... written on funny faces token itself. Etched into it, so to speak. So that it still has funny faces, and also have the game effects.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:28 am

Haha... Adi, like i said different people have different threshold for comments, some are lower then others, i guess it is better to respect his wishes la. No point commenting and risk an edit storm. Now i actually feel rather bad that i have even posted there, especially when there was no such rules before this. I thought we are free to comment ma...

I felt like i have been slap silly, and got Red ink written all over my face, and invoke admin Frenzy, how to face him and not risk hostile reaction next time? I thought everyone here is sporting ma...

But your comment seems fair, having the words on it will definately reduce confusion.

Almond, my sentiments exact. Be it glass beads, pokemon and smiley faces... they all require memorizing. For warmachine 15 ~ 25 it is still rather ok, but when it goes to bigger games or Hordes... boom... confusion abound, and argument at risk.

Have you play raymond? Having rapport and not makes a hell of a difference (can transfer damange one extra time!). Everything in his army have a piece of paper on them after the first turn, Spiny Growth la... some stealth thing la... Use caster MAT RAT la... Lucky he use written paper.

1. That is for clarity, and for a new person, it is super helpful if you have a written thing on.

2. For the looks of the game, i use custom tokens with very different designs that have similar paint job with my minis, so they don't look out of place. Glass beads is classy, and dice is part of the game. They all look like they belong.

If we starts bringing Pokemon to the table... Just imagine what the table will look like. A circus! Just like the Darkwing duck thing and the legendary power puff girls... ewwww... for god SAKE! It takes great skills to make them look good, else it is just plain silly.

But after all that is being said, to each his own. However this is a game with a living opponent, be sporting la, we should always try to make things clear and easy to the opponent.

That is why i always ask if it is ok to use proxy. Now i am thinking that my war dog is clearly a dog. But my Eiryss... a little off, and you don't see me use my Fenris anymore eventhough i spent so much time converting the Horse...

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:26 pm

WarMachine / Hordes tokens! 5225769596_3197beaf83

i posted in my painting tread... post here again to get some comments.

What do you think, the size is one inch wide half inch tall. Can be printed in card or paper. If want to can be made double side, just print, fold, glue, if want to edge the sides.

Text clear?
Looks?

please comment

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Looks simple enough and probably more flexible.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:42 pm

This got me thinking. Maybe I should make some measurement counters too.

Can make flame and blast too.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:38 pm

In my personal opinion, as long as it makes the game more fun for you, I don't see why it should stop you from using it. This is, after all, just a game. If you are uncomfortable with an 'ugly' or confusing token being used to mark your model, just speak out. I'm pretty sure players here are happy to oblige to your request (as far as I know off).

adiaze wrote:Actually, all i asked in the thread before i got modded, can the effects be... written on funny faces token itself. Etched into it, so to speak. So that it still has funny faces, and also have the game effects.

Crap I forgot to answer your question.

Actually the tokens I'm selling CAN be written on, just like the official tokens PP are selling. Unfortunately due to space constraints, this is highly not advised.

Last edited by Tekanan on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

https://wmmalaysia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:58 pm

A couple of links I can think of for custom-made printable tokens/tempates:-
Click me!
Click me too!

@Gliblit: There's a typo in your custom tokens. It's "Disrupted", not "Disrubted".

By the way, anyone know an independant retailer who is able to custom-make Warmachine/Hordes tokens affordably?

I know of Litko, but its custom tokens are pricier than initially assumed.

Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

https://wmmalaysia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:40 pm

WarMachine / Hordes tokens! 5226167972_fcafa53466

More token goodness, it is posted in my painting tread too... i hope to keep all my work in one place, but also want comments on it from here.

This is Melee range counter. One side is Half inch, one side 2inch one side 1inch (just for fun and design)

If anyone want to make one themselves, can ping me a request for your faction.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:42 pm

AH! thanks for catching the typo... my spelling sucks when without iphone auto spell thinggy.. thanks

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:00 am

has potential for sure. If you get in pdf form, i can probably print a lot of it.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down