Warmachine Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Tactical] JACK MARSHALS! Wot do YOU think?

4 posters

Go down

[Tactical] JACK MARSHALS! Wot do YOU think? Empty [Tactical] JACK MARSHALS! Wot do YOU think?

Post by squee Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:46 pm

I was reading THIS thread earlier today and although many of you dislike the use of jack marshals, I figured that as a nation's way of coping with the rarity of warcasters in the military, they were worth a bit of mention. Tell us, ladies and gents; why would or wouldn't you entrust your jacks to your nation's common soldiery?
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

http://www.binkibonsai.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

[Tactical] JACK MARSHALS! Wot do YOU think? Empty Re: [Tactical] JACK MARSHALS! Wot do YOU think?

Post by squee Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:49 pm

squee wrote:The Kovnik is a good solid marshal that can increase the efficiency of certain jacks considerably. The Berserker seems to be his best friend as it can charge for free, boost all its attacks with his drives and use the jack marshal bonus to boost the second axe damage roll. Kodiaks are okay with him but I've found the poor Kovnik tends to get left behind if you're not careful.
Marauders aren't too bad either as drive can boost the combo-smite and his jack marshal boost'll let him charge for free.

:Magic-Wpn: The Greylord is my personal favourite as his Iron Wall ability protects him from gunfire and his power booster adds a much needed punch to marshalled jacks. Experience has shown me that the Destroyer marshalled by him makes for good and self-sufficient (Though expensive) mobile support.

The Koldun lord also works well with any single-hit melee wonders like the Marauder. However don't be surprised if he cacks it once battle is joined.

Admittedly although jack marshalling is undoubtedly a far inferior means of warjack control to a caster, it's one thing Khador is very good at.

Our marshal-heavy builds can be considered far superior to any marshalled efforts our southern counterparts can muster. It's focus-conservative and with the mundane matters of running and charging taken care of by these brave and patient souls (I mean, it must be bladdey stressful trying to get a warjack to hear you over the roar of cannon fire.) it means our warcasters are free to do wonderful things like casting buffs. pIrusk, Strakhov and pSorscha seem to benefit the most from marshals as your free-functioning jacks are now free to receive buffs like Superiority, Sentry and Boundless Charge as well as freeing up your casters to use their attack and defense spells like Freezing Grip, Inhospitable Ground, Battering Ram and Airburst.

:Imm-Electric: Also, marshalled jacks never worry about disruption and in the Kovnik's case, never worries about losing the cortex system.

:DmgType-Cold: Being a lover of marshalling jacks meself, I learned that the build however suffers from one glaring weakness; No shake-off. If anyone knocks you down or freezes you, your melee jacks are screwed.

End of the day I'd say it's up to you if ye wanna put up with the inability to shake off these often crippling moments.

On the bright side it's off-set by focus conservation and results in an army that embodies the Khadoran refusal to quit. A marshal-heavy force in a multiplayer game can make for one hell of a thorn in the opponent's side who may well kill your caster and find the whole army still stampeding towards them.
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

[Tactical] JACK MARSHALS! Wot do YOU think? Empty Re: [Tactical] JACK MARSHALS! Wot do YOU think?

Post by cikiauness Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:41 pm

errr wats jack marshall noob here dunno anything
heard like they can to drive of stuff

cikiauness
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:54 pm

I generally never support Marshalling jacks unless they are of Cygnaran origin. The benefits gained from the Cygnar side is really good compared to Khador or even merc (Thor might be an exception).

Most Jack Marshalls can operate on their own and still benefit the "supposedly marshalled jack". Due to wanting to bring the autonomous jack into the warcaster's battlegroup should the marshall die, your marshalled jack cannot operate far from your warcaster... which might be a hindrance.

Also, your marshalled warjack is not considered to be in the warcaster's battlegroup. As most people know, some spells and feats are focused on the warcaster's battlegroup only instead of friendly models.
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

https://wmmalaysia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by squee Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:42 am

cikiauness wrote:errr wats jack marshall noob here dunno anything
heard like they can to drive of stuff

A Jack Marshal is basically a member of the soldiery who does not possess the telepathic link of a warcaster to their jacks. A jack has a primitive sort of AI that marshals rely on to follow orders. Imagine a soldier running after a warjack shouting orders and making frantic hand gestures to a 9-tonne iron monster while people are shooting at him.
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by squee Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:44 am

Tekanan wrote:I generally never support Marshalling jacks unless they are of Cygnaran origin. The benefits gained from the Cygnar side is really good compared to Khador or even merc (Thor might be an exception).

Most Jack Marshalls can operate on their own and still benefit the "supposedly marshalled jack". Due to wanting to bring the autonomous jack into the warcaster's battlegroup should the marshall die, your marshalled jack cannot operate far from your warcaster... which might be a hindrance.

Also, your marshalled warjack is not considered to be in the warcaster's battlegroup. As most people know, some spells and feats are focused on the warcaster's battlegroup only instead of friendly models.

You feel Cygnar's marshalling ability is far superior to that of its Northern counterpart? Do elaborate on instances and give us some insight to combinations to further illustrate why you feel this is so.

Naturally marshalling is inferior to caster control. However I feel marshals exist in the game to allow people who like non jack-based casters to still run a warjack-heavy army.
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by squee Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:47 am

That and in multiplayer games, marshals and autonomous jacks are a means to allow a player continued participation in the battle should their caster fall to nefarious assassination tactics.
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:37 am

A steam armoured medium based jack marshall is enough to make me a believer. I think they're awesome if done right. You can really spread your jacks far and wide.

But I think it'll be highly beneficial in a high points game with a big table to cover.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:39 pm

squee wrote:
You feel Cygnar's marshalling ability is far superior to that of its Northern counterpart? Do elaborate on instances and give us some insight to combinations to further illustrate why you feel this is so.

Sure!

Cygnar Jack Marshals:
ATGM: Officer
SB Infantry: Officer
Sword Knights
Trenchers: Officer
Field Mechaniks
Arlan
JWC (technically isn't, but theoretically he/she is)

ATGM: Officer has Rune shot, which allows the marshalled jack make a crit brute dmg, snipe or thunderbolt shot. Chances of crit brute dmging is high and we are looking at a 4d6+PS15 if Arlan is around to powerboost the Defender.

Sword Knights can Drive: Pronto. For the uninformed, that's a free full advance. Although the marshalled jack requires to be within the jack marshall, a free advance can be used in alot of ways besides that unreasonable charge distance.

SB marshalling a stormclad is like a koldun lord marshalling a warjack. Nevertheless, in the stormblade's favour, it gains survivability and flexibility compared to the chinese-looking koldun lord.

JWC is trying to make it big among the warcasters in Cygnar. While the chic made it, the dude still has some way to go. Regardless, freeing up "3 focus" for the warcaster is of great help.
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by squee Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:59 am

Um, no-one can deny the journeyman is awesome, but i'd look at him as a little caster-lite than a marshal as his control of a jack is more like a warcaster.

None can deny that qualitatively, Arlan is one of the best Marshals for a Defender, allowing it to boost its attacks and damage at range and should the need arise, he can repair any damage it takes from return fire.

ATGMOfficer is a very awesome marshal for any shooty jacks, especially if taken in the Highborn Covenant so he can work a Mule, but don't you feel 8pts is a bit much to shell out for a marshal and his buddies, not to mention the 8-9 points you're already paying for a shooty jack?

Not as fancy but I prefer Khador's sheer damage output with marshaled jacks. However thank you Alif; that was the sort of feedback I was looking for. More thoughts, anyone? Wot about the mercs?
squee
squee
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:02 am

I like Thor drive pronto-ing his warjacks. Perhaps that is the best drive out there, which pretty much puts him as the best merc marshal?

Well, lets wait for Rutger's character Nomad and see how it goes. Wink
Rutger's Drive: Kiss & make up.
- If Taryn is within 2" of and Rutger, Rutger and Taryn kiss and make up. Each enemy within 14" take a POW 14 damage because of sheer awesomeness.
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down