Warmachine Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What have you done to promote the game?

+6
Wayfarer
adiaze
gizmoduck
thevampiredio
almond
Gliblit
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What have you done to promote the game? Empty What have you done to promote the game?

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:39 am

I hope this will ring a bell in all of us. I'm very dishearten after seeing the recent eruption of discussion on "who's right and who's wrong". A total waste of time.

Ask yourself this question, how is it helpful to discuss all those things?

If there is a dispute over how strong a unit is or an army theory. "Bring It!" take it to the table, settle it Warmachine style, do it like you "got a pair". Words are cheap in wargaming world.

A exhibition game actually educate everyone, and is interesting for the community. Don't we all like a little conflict and friction (on the table top). Events like these can be advertise and attract newbies.

Come see Cryx and Menoth settle a score, sounds cooler then come see random games. And the winner can share his tactic later. Win-Win-Win situation.

We all love this game and we want to promote it. So, what have you done? Or, what can you do?

1. Showing up regularly on our gaming day, and have a good time. This is the best to bring in new people. Play like gentlemen, be sporting. People will see that there are people to play with and it's fun!

We all start a game because we want to play, showing that they have nice and fun people to play with is most crucial.

To mention names, Jesse is always there, he sent SMS out on his own cost. For me he is the champion. Good player who is gracious, and don't mind teaching. Then people like Neo, Gizmo, Ramone, Squee, Tekanan, all silently support the game. Also I notice the most vocal does not mean the most regular.

As the song goes "come out and PLAY!"

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

What have you done to promote the game? Empty Re: What have you done to promote the game?

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 am

I'm going to continue to post some of the things I have done.

1. With Jesse help we help one guy to start a menoth battle group. I voulenteer to paint up his army so he can play. Still pushing him to come this Friday.

2. We want gaming terrain, we make prototype.

3. I've also talked a guy in to busting out his old Cryx, he is painting them metallic as we speak. And again I volunteer to teach and do touch up.

I'm not trying to show off, my efforts are minute compared to Jesse and Squee. Just count how many they have drawn into the game. And Jesse sacrificing his collection and produced excellent bargains for all of us. Who is also collecting starter to run demo. Not to forget Tekanan starting this forum, and Wolf who first brought the game in.

How dare I boast I front of that?

All I'm saying is, do what you can. Less talk more actions. Come and play, that to me is the greatest promotion! I could not have convince the 2 nice fellas to start if they have not been hearing about this beautiful gaming group.

I had time and being old, I have the exposure to stuff. I'm just using what little I picked up to help, in what ever little way I can.

Thanks. To Jesse to convince me to go Squee's house. To Squee to showing my first Mk2 game, and wacky orky conversions. Neouchujin and Farhan (mantis) for being familiar faces in a strange new world. If not for you I would not have came back to this hobby that I love.

Ok! Enough estrogen filled emo, "Come out and PLAY!!!!!!!!!!"

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

What have you done to promote the game? Empty Re: What have you done to promote the game?

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:03 am

Sorry if I offend any person who actually do have higher estrogen than testosterone count. I'm not saying you more emo. Sorry. It's just a take on PP "play like you got a pair"

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:08 am

almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by thevampiredio Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 am

i have drawn many fanarts!Very Happy
thevampiredio
thevampiredio
Leader

http://thevampiredio.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:14 pm

I do agree that a harmonious gaming community promotes the best kind atmosphere at your local lgs. It would be great if warmachine becomes popular in the klang valley and the wm community is known as "the nicest bunch of guys" you'll ever meet Very Happy

However, the worst thing that can occur is the "me first" attitude that has always been a stigma among Malaysians. Miniature wargaming is and can be competitive, but losing should also be fun. Its much more fun charging with the harbinger and leaving butcher with 2 more lives than pulling a face just because your heavy warjack has just been totalled. I've seen it a lot of times (not in my games because I have had the fortune of playing against cool guys) in some games and it is unsightly (walking away from the table is not cool - ever). When I was playing 40k (10 years ago) there was a kid who even used spiked dice that always rolled sixes and fives. When we found out he got banned from the shop.

Let's just hope that the 'kiasu' mentality doesn't creep into the game.
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Spiked dice?! Cool!

Yeah must loose... I lost to Raymond... He strong... Assasinate me... Then I challenge him again next week... Loosing is fun also... It's the only way to learn...

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Fan art!!!! Yeah! Your work is really cool. Bring some thing la... Eh eh... Can sponsor one as grand prize ah?

Are your work digital or is it on canvas/paper/cloth... (what do you call a non-digital art)

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Actually I'm really happy with the regular crowd, all cool fellas. Win lose or draw, we just want to enjoy the game.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm happy to be devil's advocate at the moment. Friday night gaming are hard to go for me, I'm usually freer to go on other weekdays. And November and December is the bulk of people getting married/engaged/ and random family events. Hence, the call for normal days gaming. Being a noob myself in this game, I can only play as much I can get with the limited gaming time.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Well you can always call for a game here. And NeoSpaceMan is right in that you can play on McD tables. If the terrain Jesse and me are making turn out well. Then, terrain is not a problem.

Cheers!

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Yo Adi, kesian with the fact that you can't join us on Friday nights. I don't mind going to WGS on wednesday to play, I think met u there a few times already but I have this sort of unspoken agreement with the missus - no more than once per week gaming night kind of thing lolzx. So have to chooseeee...
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:29 pm

gizmoduck wrote:Yo Adi, kesian with the fact that you can't join us on Friday nights. I don't mind going to WGS on wednesday to play, I think met u there a few times already but I have this sort of unspoken agreement with the missus - no more than once per week gaming night kind of thing lolzx. So have to chooseeee...

It's the same sort of agreement that I have my wife, although I get more flexibility but the sacrifice also means absolute family day on Saturdays... hence you dont see me on Saturdays.. Smile
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Respect!

I think it must be hard balancing family and hobby, with both taking up so much of your time. Leave those time consuming task to us single dudes. And do come play when you can.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:20 pm

I did a number of demos at WGS. In fact, I demoed to Tekanan there before he started WM. Lobbied Wolf for more stock after MkII came out - this was a time when a lot of LGSes were doing a wait and see. WM/H gaming was almost non-existent at the time. Just ask squee. I lobbied for WGS to host Organized Play in Malaysia - we had 2 seasons of Shattered Grounds plus Summer Rampage there earlier this year. (The leagues require an LGS, iinm)

We all do our part.

Like some of you guys, I can't game more than once (or rarely twice) a week. Weekdays are often out for me as I usually work late. On most Saturdays, I'm at WGS. This is why you guys don't see me at HF on Fridays.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Good job wayfarer.

Who are the new players there? We went over a few times but can't seems to meet anyone new. Do you have a fix gaming time for WM?

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:51 pm

gizmoduck wrote:Yo Adi, kesian with the fact that you can't join us on Friday nights. I don't mind going to WGS on wednesday to play, I think met u there a few times already but I have this sort of unspoken agreement with the missus - no more than once per week gaming night kind of thing lolzx. So have to chooseeee...
OMG. We're in the same boat! The only difference is... mine is a spoken agreement ^.^;;;;
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:09 pm

@Gliblit: You know, what? I don't get to play with them either since they tend to play weekday nights only. There's a bunch of younger college guys, iinm and a few returnees from MkI days. You'll have to ask Wolf - I don't even know many of the newer guys. I only play on Saturdays and/or rarely, Sundays so I only know that crowd.

Somebody's been buying up the faction books, that's for sure. 10 Trollblood, 10 Skorne, 10 Khador books. All gone within a week or two of arrival. I think the Trollblood books were gone over 3-4 days, actually.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:10 pm

I have done nothing to promote the game. Shocked

*cowers under a rock*
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

https://wmmalaysia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:13 pm

Tekanan wrote:I have done nothing to promote the game. Shocked

*cowers under a rock*

Talk about being under Tekanan... pun intended. Razz
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Uh...that's not true, though. You put up this forums and you demo, don't you?
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by arzmi Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:34 pm

hi all. just thought i could share some of my experiences as an mk I player who stopped abruptly.

first of all i have to say WM/H is a good game. back then when i started i was all for PP and was anti GW. i had amassed a total of RM6k worth of cygnar models all bought from WGS. (yes it was that easy to get back then, literally 1 new piece every week). before anything please take note that what i am sharing is not a hate rant or which game is better, but something maybe we could all share to avoid what happened to most of the mk I players stopping abruptly.

i will shameless-ly mention legio, because i truly believe their model can help WM/H grow, and their model is not something new anyway, but its what all these gaming companies are doing in the states: Really nice, organized tournaments. not the regular tournaments we used to have., but tournaments with painted models, trophies, game day t-shirts, certificates, you name it.

one of the reason me and my brother stopped playing WM/H was that after a while, there was no real worth playing the game week in week out. its the same players, the same mission, the same weekend albeit with different opponents. it just ends there and it got boring. as much as i love our PG at that time, maybe he didnt do quite enough.

being pro-PP and anti-GW at that time, we heard of legio and went there. By God i think we turned sides as quick as a flick on the hand. and it wasnt because of the models, or the gameplay or the rules. it was because of the community and how engrossed they were in playing the game. and we found out that they were actually playing a league, like an EPL league. every week and there's even a standing table. not only that they had prizes, awesome ones to boot which i also believe PP hands out in form of very beautiful certificates.

following the league are unique tourneys which are well organized and prizes are up for grabs and you get free t-shirts to commemorate the event. this inadvertently gives the players something to look for instead of the week in week out random normal games which becomes mundane after a time. by making full painted rules in the tourneys, it pushes players to paint their model because even if you suck at playing you can still win the most beautiful army. if you suck at both you can still win the sportsmanship award and get the t-shirt. this apparently caters to all level of players and this, we realize, was what was missing during mk I. sure we had a few tourneys but it was never well run. if there is one i can remember it was at WGS where players do get the certificates from PP, although sadly it was just that one in the few years we were playing.

apart from having tourneys, the other important thing is to maintain it, which is quite hard. Legio is lucky we have Jeff, Azlan, and Khairul but im sure some of you will surely step into that responsibility as Jason has. i honestly think its so silly jason has yet to apply as PG status, imagine the free models you can get to rope in more newbies. consistency of tourneys plays a major role in keeping current players as well as roping in new players. you could start with 3 tourneys a year starting from next year. every 4 months for example.

as a final note, i know its easy to say things in forums but much harder to do in real life. hence because i actually had that tingle feeling to start playing again after seeing such a crowd last friday, i would not mind to help assist in organizing your tourneys. i may not be a pro at it but i do have some experience in running a tournament which was legio's kindred tournament last year which i ran with my brother and im dead sure legio will help too. please dont think im trying to show off or anything, i just dont want what happened to us happen again because WM/H is a great game. it just needs a little push. and at the end of the day im pretty sure we would all benefit from a growing gaming community.

arzmi
Standard Bearer

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Hey arzmi, nice of you to drop by! Well I have to say, as much as prefer playing at LGSes, I have to take my hat off to Legio players. Not only are they organized but crazy committed. I mean, that place is far! I wouldn't mind going once in a blue moon but I couldn't do it every week. I'm just not that hardcore. Embarassed
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by arzmi Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 pm

lol hi ya to you too bro.

think you missed my point. wasnt really advertising to come and play at legio. was sharing my experience how legio made GW games work and how the community grew. and im sure you guys could make WM/H work by applying some of the same way on how they run things: which is by holding tourneys for example. i did, by no means, say legio is the place to game if you want the community to work. just how they run things there to make sure the hobby is growing and not dying.

legio does not have 20+ people coming in week in week out to play games, heck sometimes HB has more crowd. but then again legio isnt a shop, but a community of gamers who enjoys the same passion: hobbying. be it GW, PP, flames of war, battletech, etc. we kinda cater for all. and trust me we are not hardcore, i could count the number of times ive been to legio this year due to having a new baby.

what i was trying to point out was, even though most of use dont game weekly, we are still committed to the hobby, particularly warhammer because there are major events held every year. during those events old players and new players turn out. the community comes together. this did not happen to my mk I WM comunity. we had fun at the beginning, we wither, and we disappeared, something i would not like to see happen to his WM/H community because you guys are doing great!!. kudos to the webmaster for starting this forum, thats a huge sign of how committed you guys are towards the game. so i was merely stating there is so much more you guys can do and i am willing to help if any of you is interested in organizing a good and fun tourney for all level of players.

arzmi
Standard Bearer

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:20 pm

@arzmi: no, no, I got your point all right. I was just stating my respect for you guys since I couldn't do that. There's some good ideas you gave and it's awfully gracious of you to offer your help running events. Really appreciate that, bro. Maybe we can entice you back to WM, MkII in the not too distant future!
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next