Warmachine Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolf's Game Shop Amateur Tournament

+8
Wayfarer
P666P
thevampiredio
Gliblit
Tekanan
almond
jasechew
adiaze
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Wolf's Game Shop Amateur Tournament - Page 4 Empty Re: Wolf's Game Shop Amateur Tournament

Post by Tekanan Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Not really. My eiryss is based off a dark reaper nienna model with eiryss arms. Wolf said can.
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

https://wmmalaysia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Wolf's Game Shop Amateur Tournament - Page 4 Empty Re: Wolf's Game Shop Amateur Tournament

Post by almond Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Phew. At least I know it's more than 2 people registering for tomorrow's tourney Very Happy You guys seen the tables yet? The water canal table is just mean.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:18 am

wolf is pushing Mantic games minis... as an alternative to another fantasy based game... he said "we are playing the game, not playing the company" good la.

Also just say that, if it is an elf, and you use an elf, and it looks like the elf... then it is ok ,a... haha

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:28 am

Tekanan wrote:Not really. My eiryss is based off a dark reaper nienna model with eiryss arms. Wolf said can.

Well its from other PP model and "he"(originally) does looks alot like Eiryss
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:30 am

Gliblit wrote:wolf is pushing Mantic games minis... as an alternative to another fantasy based game... he said "we are playing the game, not playing the company" good la.

Also just say that, if it is an elf, and you use an elf, and it looks like the elf... then it is ok ,a... haha

If that's the case is OK maybe he juz straight to certain people. I still remember he warn couple of our guys before no proxy allow as myself were warn before too b4 I wipe him out in our one and only game.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:47 pm

Detailed battle report will come later. Basically in a nutshell:

8 people registered. 2 of them dropped off the day before and 1 went AWOL on the day itself. So we're left with 5. The lowdown on the army today is:

3 Khador (2 pSorscha, Karchev)
1 Circle (eKaya)
1 Retribution (Ravyn) <- I give this army the best composition by far.

(this further cemented my resolve to play Trolls).

Long story short, we had 3 rounds of steamroller scenario, the first being Convergence, followed by Revelation and finally Destruction. The last one happend to be the toughest scenario by far.

adiaze won by scenario victory on the last game. Congrats! Now I'll just have to get back from a wedding to compose my thoughts and come up with a decent battle report from my end.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:54 pm

I'll probably do a proper battle report later, but in a nutshell :

Luck won me most of my games. My noobness really shined through. For example.
1) I somehow got the idea that the caster can only upkeep one spell at a time. Period. Didn't realise that they can upkeep multiple spells of different names.
2) Upkeep cost is only 1 fury, not the original cost of the spell.... Against Tekanan, (my first opponent) I was upkeeping a 3 cost spell by 3 every upkeep! That's 2 fury wasted per turn.... sigh...

And seriously, luck pushed me through the games, when i lost both my warbeast, a final gamble to strike against tekanan's insane sorcsha def 22, i boosted the attack and managed to roll 6-6-5. And when i roll for damage, (boosted due to charge), i got another 6-6-5.

Luck. Indeed luck.

Any normal day, i probably would have been bungkus-ed.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:53 pm

adiaze wrote:2) Upkeep cost is only 1 fury, not the original cost of the spell.... Against Tekanan, (my first opponent) I was upkeeping a 3 cost spell by 3 every upkeep! That's 2 fury wasted per turn.... sigh...

Huh. And Tekanan didn't say anything? I understand it's a tourney but that's rather bad form. It's a newbie tourney after all. Rolling Eyes
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:03 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
adiaze wrote:2) Upkeep cost is only 1 fury, not the original cost of the spell.... Against Tekanan, (my first opponent) I was upkeeping a 3 cost spell by 3 every upkeep! That's 2 fury wasted per turn.... sigh...

Huh. And Tekanan didn't say anything? I understand it's a tourney but that's rather bad form. It's a newbie tourney after all. Rolling Eyes

He was assuming i was upkeeping 3 spells at the same time. So, he also didn't catch that. It's ekaya after all.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:21 am

We'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt, then. Well, congratulations on winning the tourney, adiaze! It's too bad 3 guys dropped out. Good to finally meet you and almond. It seems some of you guys already know buffalo. I think I met him once. Not sure. There was another chinese guy, don't know him, though.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:24 am

Good job!

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by [Ghost] Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:42 am

Congrats on the win. Now you can claim your title of Best of the Newbies.
[Ghost]
[Ghost]
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:52 am

One VERY important point I noted. Spectators talk TOO much. And I'm guilty too. I guess we were too used to casual gaming that we tend to take games rather lightly.

First instance is, me and Jason and Shaz was observing the Adi vs Scyrah game... We wander off and started talking about the minis. I
Notice and strongly hinted about not doing so.

Then Nick came wandering in and started commenting on the game being played! It was disgusting, I walked out. I might be wrong or too sensitive to this issue.

But I'm more leaning towards respect a competition. Don't talk unless spoken to, even then don't answer unless it is a rule clarification.

Also I might have mistaken what nick said as gaming tips... Well, since no one complain I guess maybe I am just too sensitive.

One last thing is, wolf should have been in there to prevent all these from happening.

I think we need to implement the silent rule on our games. Like the old saying "watching a chess game you should not talk"

What do you guys think? Do we need this rule? Maybe even for casual games? For those that were playing, Do you feel like any of us were disturbing the flow of the game?

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:57 am

jasechew wrote:

If that's the case is OK maybe he juz straight to certain people. I still remember he warn couple of our guys before no proxy allow as myself were warn before too b4 I wipe him out in our one and only game.

Maybe he changed his mind? Maybe a strategic business change due to manticore games? I just hope it's not personal...

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tekanan Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:20 am

Wayfarer wrote:We'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt, then.

Thanks for that and I accept gracefully. I honestly did not realise that eKaya was sitting on low fury because he was upkeeping with 3 focus instead! I've never played against eKaya before and this is definitely an eye-opener for me.

1st round: pSorscha vs "best-of-the-newbies" adi's eKaya
DEF 22 Sorscha died to Mat 7 Laris, who forced once to shake off stationary effect. I was overconfident I guess...

2nd round: BYE (this absolutely annoyed me)

3rd round: pSorscha vs buffalo's pSorscha
I was fooled by the objectives and separated my army in deployment. Failed a key freezing grip attack on a Demo Corp and decided to sacrifice my Eiryss to prevent the casterkill by blocking charge lanes. Enemy feated but it was sub-par. I could've retaliated hard in my following turn, but I forgot to shake of Big-B's stationary effect after allocating focus. I then feated to push back the tides into my side and my opponent forgot to allocate focus to B-09 to shake. Looking back at the events after that hilarity, rather than fretting, I will just say that I played badly by choosing wrong targets.

Yea, I lost all games and ended up last! Nevertheless, I learnt a fair bit on running tourneys and would hopefully apply my knowledge learnt in the next tourney.

I definitely need to play my pSorscha list more and not bounce between Strakhov, eSorscha, pIrusk, eIrusk, pButcher, etc. Also, every list in the tourney except one (ravyn) are my bad matchups. It kinda makes me want to start playing Cryx again just for variety.
Tekanan
Tekanan
Admin

https://wmmalaysia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:35 am

Gliblit wrote:One VERY important point I noted. Spectators talk TOO much.

What do you guys think? Do we need this rule? Maybe even for casual games? For those that were playing, Do you feel like any of us were disturbing the flow of the game?

I was fairly annoyed by the 3rd game when people start coming in and out of the room, so the room started to heat up a bit, (aircon fled the room and all that). The talking spectators annoyed me as well, as clearly, me and my opponent made a few decisions during the game, wrong or right doens't matter, and it annoys when people ask you why are you doing this? or how come you didn't run this particular mini/list?

I mean, it's a freaking tournament! Luckily, the environment was a fair bit more relaxed at that time. But by right, silence should be observed. Unless the players in play themselves asked a question, which should be directed to the TO anyway.

In casual, i dont think you should apply it, doesn't matter anyway. At most, if you dislike it, you can just tell the person who'se talking too much to shut it, and talk bout post game comments.

But that's just my 2 cents.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:39 am

Tekanan wrote:
Thanks for that and I accept gracefully. I honestly did not realise that eKaya was sitting on low fury because he was upkeeping with 3 focus instead! I've never played against eKaya before and this is definitely an eye-opener for me.

1st round: pSorscha vs "best-of-the-newbies" adi's eKaya
DEF 22 Sorscha died to Mat 7 Laris, who forced once to shake off stationary effect. I was overconfident I guess...

You were being a good sport actually. I remembered you allowed me to make adjustments to my argus charge against elyss which if you really that strict about it and follow through with my original arrangement, my argus would have clipped the side of the cliff wall and failed the charge. So kudos. And frankly, if not for the gamble roll, the game is yours, no way i could withstand next turn with no heavy warbeast when your behemoth still up and running.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:29 am

Tekanan wrote:I definitely need to play my pSorscha list more and not bounce between Strakhov, eSorscha, pIrusk, eIrusk, pButcher, etc. Also, every list in the tourney except one (ravyn) are my bad matchups. It kinda makes me want to start playing Cryx again just for variety.

Rightfully so as the first advice Jesse gave me. I did not switched from Butcher until i am confident in playing him. Now i am still trying out Sorcage... she is a bitch to use sometimes.
'
Yeah i always get over confident with Def 18 also... this internal dialogue áppeng abit too much "you need to roll a boody 12 le!!!!!!! it is a 12! how did that happen?! dang!"

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:35 am

Adi, agree on the casual game thing. Maybe we should make (or take) a please do not disturb sign for games that wanted to be serious. Most of the guys are sporting enough not to give advice even in casual games (unless they know both players don't mind)

Sometimes the pain of seeing the opponent falling in to an elaborated trap got away because of a by stander is annoying.

More so, when being told what to do (not advice or suggestion, but Told). Especially so when i have the move in mind, and i wanted to surprise the opponent with it...

I guess it is just those rare few cases that cause trouble.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:15 am

Here's my tourney report:

My list:
Karchev
Decimator
Destroyer
Juggernaut
2x Min Mechaniks
War Dog

1st round: Wong (Retribution: Ravyn's Cloudy Range)

Ravyn
Stormfall Archers
Dawnguard + UA
Manticore
Epic Eiryss

Scenario: Convergence (control the middle of the board)
Table: Desert with Grand Canyon like standing pillars

What was deceptively an easy scenario to me at first glance turned out to be quite a tough one!

Wong parked his Stormfall archers behind an elevated wall and proceeded to move his Dawnguards forward in one huge mob, but not before Ravyn popped a 4" cloud that prevented my Destroyers from tearing up the mob :/

All I did was move my army in a large mob towards the center. My mechanics were hugging the jacks for their lives as the Stromfall archers bombarded my army, nearly taking out the Decimator. But ARM 14 mechaniks survived and patched up my jacks really quick till they're shiny again.

But the cloud provided an uneasy stalemate which prevented me from at least gaining 1 point from the objective. I did stop the Dawnguards from shooting by running the War Dog up to them though. Good times. The damn dog survived by the way.

Game highlight: Parking my War Dog in front and killing an incoming Eiryss from free strike.

MVP: War Dog.

Round 2: Buffalo (Khador: Sorscha's Mob)

pSorscha
Beast-09
Winter Guard Infantry + UA
Kovnik Joe
2x MoW Demo Corps

Scenario: Ravelations (capture the flag)
Table: Same. As above.

I picked the same side of the table because I was lazy to move and I was familiar with the terrain from the first round. I went 2nd to get the 12" deployment advantage. His first moves were moving his mob forward, with Beast-09 leading the fray.

My first move was Towing my jacks and make them run to the first flag, capturing the first point and making the second flag appear.

The Demo Corps than ran towards the second flag and captured it, while the Winter Guards charged at my brick army. I took a few minutes before deciding what to do when my turn came and threw caution to the wind, popping my feat, Unearthly Rage, and watch my 3 jacks trample the Winter Guard down to a single man (which succeeded his morale check, lucky sod). This net me another control point. I continued to run my Mechaniks to the 2nd flag hoping to deny Buffalo of a third control point.

Then Sorscha came down and froze my 3 jacks and the entire mechaniks. I started to panic a little because there's no way in hell I could disrupt Buffalo's winning control point now. To make things worse, he moved Kovnik Joe and the lone Winter Guard right past the frozen jacks to my flag! So only Karchev and his dog can move.

I thought it would be easy, dog kills Joe, Karchev kills the WG. Or better yet, throws the WG to Joe, killing two birds in one stone. My Decimator could make short work of Beast-09 with 3 focus and Unearthly Rage. Then the unthinkable happened:

I missed the WG with Karchev and I had no focus left! Issues! I was on the verge of defeat right there! Arrrrgh!!!! Then I noticed that my Decimator was in melee range to both Joe and the WG and out of Beast-09's reach. The Decimator had 2 focus left, used 1 to shake off stationary. *lightbulb* Decimator turned around, casually walks in the middle of Joe and WG, with both of them within melee range and ripped them apart with the saw. The WG failed the Tough roll too so that was fortunate. I ended my turn with 3 control points and won the game.

Game highlight: Trampling jacks. Oh yeah...
MVP: Decimator. For having a wicked P+S 18 saw and 3 focus at the right time.

Third and final round report coming in a separate post, my laptop is nearly out of juice and I have to go somewhere >.<
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 am

Round 3: adiaze (Circle of Orboros: Kaya's Dog Pile)
eKaya + Laris
Pureblood Warpwolf
Feral Warpwolf
Shifting Stones
2x Argus
Druid Wilder
Blackclad

Scenario: Destruction (kill opponent's base)
Table: Forest (somewhat)

This is by far the hardest scenario on paper. But in practice, it's actually really easy. Unfortunately I got psyched up by the objectiva which had 20 hp and ARM 20 that I was 1 turn too slow in winning this one.

I started first and began my turn by pulling my jacks towards the middle while both my Mechanik units were sent to camp on each of my own objectives. I was thinking that the Mechaniks would buy me time and clutter up the table a bit while my jacks have time to go and take care of the objectives.

The bulk of the Circle's forces went straight through the forest towards my one objective, sending 1 lonesome Blackclad to the other one.

I was slightly delayed in reaching my 1st objective because adiaze positioned his warpwolves in such a way that a single miscalculated inch would result in them coming over to my jacks without charging, picking them up and making a double handed throw out of Karchev's control range >.> Not funny. Knowing him, he'd definitely do that first before charging. But eventually I took the first objective by shooting it to bits while his wolves took their first right after.

I didn't have enough speed and misjudged the Juggernaut's distance to the second objective. My twin Decimator shots did an impressive 11 damage on the second objective but adi brought Kaya forward, cast Dogpile on the second objective and I saw him claim the second one with a Feral Warpwolf shredding it to bits with extra attacks and boosted damage. Thus winning him the game.

So what happened to that Blackclad then? Interesting story, the Blackclad and a unit of my Mechaniks were... ummm... fighting until the end of the game. I was left with only 1 mechanik which refused to die from the Blackclad's missed spray attack. My other unit of mechaniks charged the Warpwolves to clutter them up and keep them engaged. That bought me one turn. What I should've done is just run them forward in staggered layers to buy even more time. But eh, what can you do?

Game highlight: Mechaniks tying up the Blackclad for the entire game... and one of them survived!
MVP: Mechaniks. Hands down. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't even have enough time to take the first objective. I should learn how to position them as speed bumps more effectively later in the future. 4 points for 8 warm bodies is really a good deal.

Lessons learnt: It's a noob tourney... I made noob mistakes.
#1: Sidearms and Tow are UPKEEP spells! I ended up casting them every turn.
#2: Destroyers don't need a lot of focus! I always ended up wasting a focus or two on it. 1 is usually enough actually.
#3: Stagger the Mechaniks! I should've moved them in layers if I wanted them to be speed bumps, not recklessly put everyone on the frontline engaging the enemy.

Sad panda of the army:
All my models went into combat and actually swung their weapons. EXCEPT the Juggernaut. In 3 games all he did was move. He didn't even get to swat a fly with his axe. So effectively, he's a 7 point "filler" that... doesn't really do anything :/

More considerations in the future:
I would happily changed either the Decimator or the Destroyer with the Juggernaut for a Spriggan and a Berserker. Though not many people plays cloud effects, having them on the table can really screw up with you planning by a big margin. At least with the Berserker I wouldn't be so hesitant to send him charging for free every turn.

So I ended up placing 2nd, which net me a Troll Whelp for cheaps, using the store credit. It was a really fun tourney for me, even when I lost. But towards round 3 there were suddenly a lot of people and one of them giving out snide comments like "how come you didn't field this model? how come you didn't do this? blablabla OMGNOOB (it's an amatuer tournament, what do you expect?)" Bloody irritating to have that during a tournament. But overall a good event.

Tourney pros: Good organization and timely in execution. The small number helps in speeding things along Very Happy The tables are well prepared. 25 points is just nice.

Tourney cons: Spectator control is lacking. The terrains are fun to play with but they can be a bit too much, causing a lot of time lost thinking how to get around it. The urban river table is just plain evil (this can be a pro too!)
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Excellent battle report mr Almond.

Please do tell what happen to the elf game... What happened? Are the puny elfs in armour that much trouble for the iron clad giant of khador?

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:50 pm

It was really awkward positioning and not enough room to maneuver. I was also too far to use Karchev's feat to trample the Dawnguards. Even when I could, it was already time when I realised it.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:15 am

oh... it is the first time i saw the elfs. They seems stronger against Warmachine than Hordes and definately die to Stealth Battle Group.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:14 pm

The elfs are strong. I'm beginning to see why retribution can be annoying. Infantry wise, they can field a lot.

I think they are probably weaker at lower point games, at higher point, if infantry to shoot for high damage.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4