Warmachine Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Players Introduction

+31
evilmerlin
ravenscream
jospoon
funkeemonkee
Dodge
LordToruk
cikiauness
camlok
Zhuala
P666P
Gliblit
mir24
TheLostSheep
almond
adiaze
RAMONE
gizmoduck
Antu
saleem
thevampiredio
davidlian
paintminion
Kaede86
JINTANA
NeonUchuujin
squee
arzmi
Alvin K
Wayfarer
Tekanan
jasechew
35 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Players Introduction - Page 3 Empty Re: Players Introduction

Post by almond Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 pm

I have trouble envisioning Mercs with mass infantry other than pirates. You're more suited to Menoth if you like infantry spam. Just my 2 cents.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Welcome to Warmachine Hordes. If you're into infantry, I suppose the most likely army is Menoth / Pirates (merc) / Skorne.

But if not mistaken, each faction have a warcaster/warlock that specializes in infantry army. But that's rather specific though.

Last edited by adiaze on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Well Cygnar and Cryx Infantry spam is quite scary too ....
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mir24 Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:35 pm

Thanks for the ideas!

Don't know much at all about the armies (except that Khador is red, Cygnar is blue, Menoth white, and Mercs are a motley crew...) but had this idea that Mercs could field an infantry army from the Steelheads, Cutthroats and Boomhowlers.... Add Cavalry and Riflemen for support. But then I'm selecting based on the PP gallery and not actual stats.

My second choice would be Cygnar and field as many 'jacks as possible with a couple of solo's. That might lead to a lot less painting and cheaper overall costs. Is that correct?

mir24
Grunt

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:41 pm

Mercs Infantry can be played with Drake Mcbain as caster,
I would say the Steelheads were quite bad , cutthroats is OK as for Boomhowlers is Awesome. The cavalry has no purpose and the Rifleman are so...so . I would say the pirates mercs will be a better choice for infantry spam.

YES it be far cheaper that way and easier to control.
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi mir24 welcome to the forum!

I used to play 40K 2nd edition and I was skeptical about starting WM at first, but after a while, I am starting to think that this is an awesome skirmish game! perfect for a married man with a job Very Happy

So you're a fan of necromunda! (I was of gorka morka lol) this here is a game for you. It's micro management compared to macro, easy to start, and takes less time to begin and finish a game.. (except for when you are playing me Very Happy too slow) I'll chip in with some info based on your questions and add to what Master Jason had already said.

1) Is it less pricey than W40K (and where can I buy the stuff)?

It is cheaper to start in my opinion. You'd probably need to spend a lot before having a sizeable 40k army but with WM it wouldn't be that much. Around RM200 for a 15 point army and maybe RM300-350 for a 25 points which is what we normally play (And that is already good enough imo) In terms of models comparison, I don't think there's a lot of difference except at the moment you can get metal WM miniatures for around the same price as 40K plastic minis (refer to dark angels space marines vs knights exemplar). A lot of starter sets are available at LGS. Most LGS take orders and you can always try your luck on ebay and online stores. UK stores take less than 2 weeks to ship.

3) I'm a fan of massed infantry (no points for guessing which army I play in W40K! ;p ) and considering the huge numbers of troops in WM/H, would it be possible to rely on troops instead of Warjacks in an army?

Me too! But the nature of WM is that, even when you think there's a foolproof list that cannot lose, there's always a way to beat it. You can always consult the veterans and they'll always give you some tips on how to do it. I started off by having a balanced army, then switching to warjack and now to more infantry based. So having a bit of everything is best. Menoth infantry FTW! (campaigning for menoth need more players praying to menoth and stuff)

4) Is the Mercenary faction any good? I love the look of some of the units but the Warjack designs aren't as impressive as the other armies...

The mercenary faction is actually quite good. I lost twice to Farhan's merc and it was an anihilation LOL. Also bear in mind that the merc faction is ever growing and there might be new releases in the future. And the new models coming out from PP are getting prettier and prettier!

gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Welcome!!!!!!! Mir24

1) yes way cheaper then 40k.

2) nothing like Necromunda or Gorka Morka... Sad... But this is not that kind of game. There are some "light" version where your Jack literally get bonded to your warcaster.

3) Ork player pleaseeeee tell me you are an Ork player!!! Or IG? but foot slogging type not the armoured company type.

Notable Infantry army, Cygnar trenchers, Khador Man O War, Menoth Paladin (but menoth have such good buff for Jacks), Crxy Bane Thrall.

For every faction you can do infantry build. But I suggest don't confuse yourself with these first, read the fluff. Choose a faction. Start playing a few games first. And don't belief everything they say, ie. They all say Khador is heavy armor faction, brainless and just move forward and weather the hits. But in fact in advance levels, it's smart maneuvering and speed that win you the game for Khador.

4) please tell me you like Big Daddy! Mercs are super cool looking, Come on PIRATES!

WM & H is in my humble opinion, a very fun and good game. It's super easy to start (learning and cost), it's lots of fun to play, very tactical (more so than WH40k), and most important of all the cool fellas you get to play with (yes, gizmoduck stills top the cool list), and ultimately you will not get the I'm fighting another marine thing going on.

Yes khador is over represented, but we all have drastically different list.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:45 pm

So, Gizmo!!! Is it Gorka or Morka? Answer carefully or I'm removing you from my personal cool list. Razz just joking...

Wow, I did not know anyone who like Gorka Morka, but I do, I bought TWO of the box set way back then...

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mir24 Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:13 pm

gizmoduck wrote:Hi mir24 welcome to the forum!

I used to play 40K 2nd edition and I was skeptical about starting WM at first, but after a while, I am starting to think that this is an awesome skirmish game! perfect for a married man with a job Very Happy

@gizmoduck:

Ah... Perfect for me too =, then! Hahaha!

Thanks for the price estimates. If WM/H's metal miniatures are the same price as W40K's plastic, then it's definitely cheaper! The reason I left W40K was the ever-increasing prices and never-ending revisions-to-editions. Necromunda was damn good fun but died out after a while. Pity!

Which are the usual LGS' that sell WM/H in the Klang Valley? I know Wolf's in Amcorp, not sure if Toybox or Comics Corner stocks any.

The moment I browsed the PP site, I was already attracted to the Mercs and Cygnar. Sorry, gizmoduck, but there's something about "fanatical theocracies" that I resist. Hehehe. Nonetheless, I'm always open to persuasion... Just don't bring your warjacks to the table, ok? ;P

The miniatures are fantastic! Ever since I read Battlechasers a long while ago, I've always wanted a setting with magic and steam machines - looks like Warmachine is that setting! Smile

@Gliblit:

Necromunda-style campaign games are my cup-of-tea. I'm a big fan of rpg's and there's something about having my very own army / gang that grows uniquely as it increases in experience.

"Orks?!" "Orks, sir, thousands of them!" *sounds of lasguns opening fire* Hehe. I'm IG infantry through and through. Well, I started off with tanks but grew to love my footsloggers more. Preatorian Guard FTW!

No idea which one is the Big Daddy but I like the look of the Nomad Warjack. Smile

From what I've read so far, most players here are either Khador or Mercs?

mir24
Grunt

Back to top Go down

Post by Gliblit Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Atleast 4 khador, 1 player who merc. And 1 god level person who happens to play merc (among others).

I played orlocks then switch to redemptionist! And bought a few spyre... Hee... Predator looking guy with claws, too cool not to own.

I would love it if we have necromunda level of detail growth development scheme. Hee... My redemptionist turned out rather shooty :O

Come come, play play.

Currently the only one that have stock on the shelf is wolf, near digital mall. When I'm back can bring you there. No more Amcorp mall.

Gliblit
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by paintminion Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Hey there, welcome to the forums. These boards are littered with Khadoran lovers. Though there has been a large horde uprising off late. With all but the minion subfaction being represented.

Wolf is no longer in Amcorp. He has moved to section 14 in PJ just in case you go looking. The other shops mentioned do not carry the product to my knowledge.

paintminion
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by mir24 Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:33 pm

@ Gliblit:

Hahah! Cool, man. Thanks. I played Cawdor - I still have the game stored away somewhere. Anyone still plays that regularly here?

So Wolf moved to old Jaya area? Shouldn't be hard to find... Smile

mir24
Grunt

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayfarer Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Not really, the last tourney was about 50+% khador, the rest mish mash of menoth, mercs, legion...

Big Daddy, I think they are referring to Broadsides Bart. None of the other privateer casters are very big...?

A few points:

1. Mercs and Cygnar are under-represented at the moment. While I agree with jasechew's assessment of the steelheads quality, they are quite cheap, points-wise. So you can cram lots of them for the points level. They also look nice as a uniform army on the table - bring Drake McBain.

Since you like lots of infantry, I'd recommend a Warmachine faction. Warcasters don't need jacks to be useful. Hordes factions need beasts to do anything more useful than die, usually.

2. WGS is now in Section14 (down the street from Digital Mall). Currently the LGS with the most stock (many force books on the shelf right now, only softcovers left, though) is WGS. If you're free, go there and take a look at the minis on the shelves and the books. You can also ask Wolf for a demo. Any day of the week, just call 1st. This is the website: http://wolfgameshop.com/

Good news is, a few other LGSes will also be bringing in WM/H in the near future. I believe Comics Corner (in DJ?), The Tavern (Cova Square) and maybe Hobby Forge (Cova Square). Toybox and Comicsmart already do, I think.

3. Price vs 40k. Hmm... I can't say they are very much cheaper. Imho, in gaming terms, a unit is a unit no matter if they are metal or plastic. If you need 10 plastic Guardsman or 10 metal Steelhead halberdiers it's the same to me - you still need to cough up the dough for 10 figures.

I think WM/H can actually be more expensive than 40k model-per-model. eg. For the price of 2 heavy jacks/beasts you can get 1 40k battleforce box. For the price of 2-3 WM/H units, you can get Assault for Black Reach. While WM/H does have faction starter boxes, it does not have a real equivalent to 40k battleforce boxes.

WM/H is cheaper to play, however - as long as you're not as nuts as jasechew Very Happy. You need fewer models and so, probably need to spend less, altogether.

Lastly, welcome to WM/H, mir24. You've come at a great time. WM/H has seen an explosive growth in Malaysia of late. More and more people like yourself are discovering the awesome battles and peoples of Immoren.
Wayfarer
Wayfarer
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:29 pm

Let me be the devil's advocate: You'll eventually buy more models for list variety....

.... we all did.
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Yes... that is true.. I have a bunch of temple flameguards, deliverers and repenter screaming "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY US HUH??? OOOooo FANCY SCHMANCY KNIGHT EXEMPLARS SO WE'RE FORGOTTEN??"

it's all in my head..it's all in my head..
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mir24 Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Frankly speaking, I haven't even bought anything yet but I feel like I want to buy everything! All the miniatures look good enough to eat!! Hahah! Maybe it's the steampunk-magic setting...

Which reminds me, I originally visited the PP site looking for alternative miniatures for Necromunda but got drawn in by the story and setting!

Damn damn damn! I feel another addiction kicking in! Must... Resist!!!

mir24
Grunt

Back to top Go down

Post by almond Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:18 pm

It'll be easier and you won't get sleepless nights if you don't resist Razz
almond
almond
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:23 pm

mir24 wrote:Frankly speaking, I haven't even bought anything yet but I feel like I want to buy everything! All the miniatures look good enough to eat!! Hahah! Maybe it's the steampunk-magic setting...

Yes. You mentioned Battlechasers and yes, i recall reading that comic eons ago and it kinda fits a bit of the setting. Go with Cygnar if you're traditional good guys. They look good in all blue, but most cranes are like that....

Buy eveything if you're financially capable. Razz I would if i could, but i shouldn't so i didn't.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:27 pm

adiaze wrote:
mir24 wrote:Frankly speaking, I haven't even bought anything yet but I feel like I want to buy everything! All the miniatures look good enough to eat!! Hahah! Maybe it's the steampunk-magic setting...

Yes. You mentioned Battlechasers and yes, i recall reading that comic eons ago and it kinda fits a bit of the setting. Go with Cygnar if you're traditional good guys. They look good in all blue, but most cranes are like that....

Buy eveything if you're financially capable. Razz I would if i could, but i shouldn't so i didn't.

Dude, that is like... cryptic. Shocked
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:29 pm

gizmoduck wrote:
adiaze wrote: I would if i could, but i shouldn't so i didn't.

Forest Codex. Works best if you read it while bathing in one of the hotsprings deep in Forbidden Forest. Razz
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mir24 Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:36 pm

adiaze wrote:
gizmoduck wrote:

Forest Codex. Works best if you read it while bathing in one of the hotsprings deep in Forbidden Forest. Razz

Is that something like "How much Wold could a Warjack 'jack, if a Warjack could 'jack Wold?"

mir24
Grunt

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmoduck Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:23 pm

adiaze wrote:
gizmoduck wrote:

Will there be scantily clad female atendees present at this said hot spring?
gizmoduck
gizmoduck
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jasechew Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Is it a mix bath?
And human to human please I don't wanna go hot spring with Farrow
jasechew
jasechew
Prime Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:41 pm

gizmoduck wrote:Will there be scantily clad female atendees present at this said hot spring?

Probably not, we're keeping lookout with shifting stones for emergency backup plan. Scantily clan female attendees are reserved for faction members only. Razz
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaze Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:42 pm

jasechew wrote:Is it a mix bath?
And human to human please I don't wanna go hot spring with Farrow

Human to human of course. Farrow have their hotsprings somewhere else with Mr. Carver.
adiaze
adiaze
Junior Warcaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next